Author Topic: Back quiver  (Read 3211 times)

Ruddy Darter

Back quiver
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:44:16 pm »
Just finished making a back quiver out of some thick leather, I got one of those little leather lace making tools that turn a 6" square piece into 5+metres of thong in about a minute, saves a lot of work.I (I found cutting the thick leather neatly and accurately hard going with a Stanley knife, i may invest in some proper leather cutting equipment if I try anything else.) Im happy with how it turned out.
The little Celtic knot holding the lace ends is carved from a piece of Holly.
Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:14:35 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Ruddy Darter

Re: Back quiver
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 03:03:44 pm »
And with it on...

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:39:41 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 03:19:12 pm »
looks like it will do the trick! nice work!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 03:58:03 pm »
Looks great

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:07:34 pm »
Thanks guys, didn't quite realize how involving it would be. Seemed pretty straight forward at the start then it started taxing my pea brain getting it right and wasn't sure it would work out o.k until near the finish, I was getting a fair bit nervous I'd just wasted a lot of nice leather  :D

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:26:37 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline gifford

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 06:03:09 pm »
Nicely done, great looking quiver. Those lace makers are quite the tool; they have come in handy on more than one occasion.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 06:28:29 pm »
Ne quiver RD. Not much you don't do. I like that!   8)
Will you post a pic of your lace maker?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 08:21:59 pm »
Loved it! Well done!
~Isaia

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 08:55:44 pm »
Thanks all  :), and will do PatB first thing in the morning over here I'll post the lacemaker.

Ruddy Darter.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 12:49:32 am »

As usual, well done!  Yes please show the lace cutter, and the Celtic knot, you carved. Thanks for showing us.
                                    Wayne

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 03:55:36 am »
Here is the lace maker, you first need to cut a small hole in the leather to start, I use it smooth side down as I find it works better. You pull the leather towards you until the blade cuts a little tail, you then grab the tail and pull that towards you and the let the leather spin on the back of hand while  doing this. Thinner leather is a little trickier to get right but soon get the hang of it. There are different size cutting gaps to select. I used an off cut to demonstrate, for a good length a 5-7" square of leather is good.
(And the Celtic knot, I glued two thin slices of Holly back to back opposite grain, drilled holes and then sawed out with a coping saw and a little jewellery hand saw and shaped  with a small chisel.)

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 04:00:23 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 05:46:27 am »
Very nice work.A quiver that should last a lifetime.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Part time Archer

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 08:51:43 am »
Nice touch with the Celtic knot!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 09:48:08 am »
Thanks RD.  bought one of those a few years ago but never got it work right for me I'll have to give it another try.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 10:13:12 am »
PatB, I had trouble with thin stretchy leather, it didn't cut too even and had trouble getting the tail started, so I cut a starting tail and thread it through and start that way, it pays to cut the starting circle as neat as possible too, I use the base of the lace maker as a template for the circle and draw around it, I then stab out the circle with a utility knife. It takes a few trial runs, I much prefer a thicker more stable piece of leather for making lace, the blades got to be sharp too. I think there's a couple of tutorials on YouTube that show it well.
Thanks Beadman and Part time Archer, I had the Celtic knot made some time ago and thought I'd put it on, I also have a sparrow hawk tail feather I may tie on as well, might be a nice touch I think  :).

Ruddy Darter.