Author Topic: mystery tree  (Read 1559 times)

Offline snedeker

mystery tree
« on: June 09, 2016, 01:22:48 pm »
I walked past a tree on a woodlot edge for 20 years and figured it was a pignut hickory (live in central PA).  compound leaves with 7-7+ ovate leaflets, grooved bark.  power comp cut it down in Feb. 14" stump.  they left a 10' section of trunk.  I took a split.  noticed right away that log and stump showed no dark heartwood.  wood seems light for hickory.  rings are about 1/8" thick, too thin for ash.  now I don't have leaves to look at!

here is bark pic

butternut maybe?

Dave

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: mystery tree
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:53:03 pm »
Sassafras is my guess. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:57:55 pm »
With compound leaves it isn't sassafras(plus sassafras has a distinct odor).My guess would be hickory or ash.
 Hope you are doing well Dave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 03:08:47 pm »
I'll make a bow when its dry and see, and I'll report back.  Maybe ash, which usually has thicker growth rings - but the locale has notoriously infertile soil

I'm still kicking Pat!  Have another bow to post soon

Dave

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 03:17:01 pm »
Is it pristine White Ash?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 03:42:07 pm »
Snedeker,
      Looks just like what I've been a week splitting up and peeling....white ash. Especially the fact of very little heart wood.
rich

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:50:40 pm »
Bark definitely looks like some sort of ash to me.We have green ash here that will have a bit of heartwood in it but the bark looks exactly the same as your picture.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed