Author Topic: Gluing feathers with TB3?  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Gluing feathers with TB3?
« on: June 10, 2016, 08:39:33 pm »
As the title states, I'm waning to glue down some turkey feathers on a bow back. I'm wanting to use TB3 as a barrier over sinew. I've done pheasant tail feathers with Knox gelatin and figured that one out. But with the sinew backing of like to use something that would be a better moisture barrier. I don't even have the sinew backed ERC molle shooting yet and am already planning the decorations. Turkey Brest feathers over the sinew and decorative thread wrapping on the levers, then I need to figure out where to incorporate the snake sheds. So how much trouble and mess am I looking as using tb3 for the breast feathers?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline PatM

Re: Gluing feathers with TB3?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:26:51 pm »
Isn't the color of the dried glue just going to make it look like its buried in mud?

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 11:28:57 pm »
I covered a cork rest with a turkey feather and TB3. You don't get a glassy effect but it is somewhat transparent.  I didn't use any finish over it after it was glued, but that might make it pop a little more.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 11:53:53 pm »
There's an artist product called mod podge. I saw a few projects at school that would lead me to believe it would work well for laying down feathers. The kid I know liked to cover everyday 3d items with 2d images from magazines and photos he took. Basically it's like a resilient clear version of paper mache. They make an outdoor version, but it isn't waterproof. I would put a traditional finish on after application. You should be able to find it at most craft stores or even craft sections of superstores. If you try it, I suggest experimenting a little first to be safe, especially with the traditional finish applied over it. Sometimes clear coats don't jive with the paint or product underneath. That can ruin your day, and the next couple for that matter. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 09:08:59 am »
I've covered a sinew backing with a thin coat of TBIII to help prevent moisture absorption but always backed the bow with snake skins.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 12:04:26 pm »
I've done a feather backing with tbIII.  It worked fine.  Here's the build along. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,52221.0.html .  That might help you some.  Josh

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 04:08:21 pm »
Looks like I've got some experimenting to do to see which method is like best. I've done Knox gelatins and it works, but is very messy and I feel wouldn't be a good enough barrier over the sinew. Though probably better than nothing once some tru oil is put over it.

Gun doc, did you put the TB3 on just the bottom side of the feathers, or did you let it squish to the top a bit?

Oh, and I got the bow shooting finally. it came out a bit light, but throws an arrow pretty good for its weight.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 05:39:18 pm »
heavy gel medium by golden,, is clear and should work well