Author Topic: Babies!?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Babies!?
« on: June 13, 2016, 03:34:25 pm »
So, As is prone to happen from time to time, I am about to be a first time father. What information would you give to a first time father, of a daughter no less. Time is getting short, and I am about going nuts waiting. I figured a good foundation to work off of was a good name, And that's all I have. Millie Olean will be here before we know it. We figured a good Norwegian name (Olean), paired with what sounds to me a good southern name (Millie). Thanks for the answers , you all seem like you have the advice I need!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bubby

Re: Babies!?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 03:43:34 pm »
The best advice i can give you Joe is to be there, spend time with her, protect her but don't think she is perfect nobody is. If she needs punished be just but not soft, a spoiled kid becomes a spoiled adult. Heck you will be fine Joe😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:51:20 pm »
I know I don't have to tell you to love her.  I have already seen how you treat your wife, the kid will know she is loved!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 04:35:06 pm »
Be consistent, if it is wrong at home it is wrong wherever your are, set your rules whatever they are and stick to them. Kids will push the edge but really want and need boundarys. Hardest part is for you and your wife to be on the same page on the important issues. Good luck, you will be fine. I get in trouble a lot for saying this but what the heck, raising a good well behaved kid is like raising a pup. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 04:36:51 pm »
raising a good well behaved kid is like raising a pup. Pappy

I agree. Nothing wrong with that, we are all animals!

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 04:53:15 pm »
Go get some sleep, then say goodbye to it, it's the last good sleep you'll have for more than a decade, lol.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 07:43:23 pm »
Spend all the time you can with her they grow up fast & what everybody else said.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 12:18:31 am »
I only have boys, but that bit about sleep--spot on.  Parenting is the hardest and most rewarding job you will ever have.  Just don't expect any immediate gratification on any of it.  You will make constant mistakes, but the only time you fail is when you stop trying.  Good luck, and welcome to the club--it's going to be great.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 12:34:32 am »
There's no need to panic. When they arrive, all they need is cuddles, cleaning, food and comfort. You will grow into the rest as it comes.

WA

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 02:57:57 am »

Congratulations.  When she starts on solid food, the mustard stops, and the real sh@T starts, will full odor of the foulest kind! :o :o :o :P :P  But all of the above.
                                    Wayne

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 09:59:14 am »
HAHAHA, I'm not afraid of poop, or blood. Not great with real adult style vomit. I'm not scared, or in a panic. I'm excited. I'm a bad gift giver because I can't keep secrets well. This has been the ultimate test of patience.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 10:26:13 am »
Kids? The first 3 months are tough, then it eases off after about 40 years >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 10:36:57 am »
Kids? The first 3 months are tough, then it eases off after about 40 years >:D
Del

I'll be dead by then! HAHA, Where I'm from I am an old first time parent at 37. Most people in Utah are married by 21, or 22 (For men) and have kids just about 9 months later!

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 11:09:12 am »
Like Bubby said be there. Absent dads are not good. Read to her, play with her. Pay attention to her smile.
When she twirls tell her she is beautiful. Protect her with your life Lots of hugs and kisses.
I raised 3 boys . Got to play in the dirt. Now we have 1 grandson and 5 granddaughters. 
Pray for her too.

Grand Dog
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 11:18:10 am »
Congrats Jo, Dez is 6 weeks old, and it's already getting a little easier.
Sleep is for sure tough, I recommend start with establishing days/nights right off the bat. Start a night time routine, feed, bathe, snuggle, repeat. Close all your blinds at night, whisper, and keep volumes low. Day time do the opposite, play music while they sleep and let them know it's day time. Our dude figured it out after a couple weeks.
Also, the kid is not here yet, I know you 2 are probably trying to save some cash, but go out, get dinner, see movies, and just hang. It's the last time it'll be just the 2 of you.
There's so many things people don't talk about in terms of just how hard it is, and  post partem stuff for the mom. Everyone tells you it gets better, but it doesn't really help when your in the thick of it. It helps to talk with other parents who've been there recently or are there now, and we couldn't of done it without our birthing support. We went the midwives / doula route and it was the best decision we made.
Try to be OVERLY supportive of your wife. You both will be going through a huge learning curve, but yours is nothing compared to hers.  Just knowing you have her back will bring her great comfort.
Good luck with everything Jo, it truly is the best, most beautiful, most terrifying thing a person can do.