Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 84676 times)

Offline bubby

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2016, 11:07:47 pm »
Well you on at the start of the journey, enjoy the trip and post pics😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2016, 11:08:35 pm »
Hard to tell from the pics, but looks good to me.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2016, 09:58:59 am »
Cool! Wear those ear plugs lol. I am always wearing them but then when I cut or smash my fingers hard enough to holler it's extra loud and angers the wife upstairs..so be careful of that

Offline FunyFarm

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2016, 05:32:56 am »
Lumber Man I like your analogy it's spot on Marin I'm a new bowyer also so I understand your fear & wanting to cover every detail but you will learn a lot more buy just doing it ! I had a osage stave that was twisted ,bowed really a  challenging ugly stave over a year I pulled it down from the rafters looked at & put it back up about 10 times & about the 11th time I pulled it down said the heck with it ether it's going to be a bow or break  it turned out to be one of my best bows  but my frustration had to over come my fear I think Bubby is just trying to give you a gentle kick in the pants like others did to me !
so far I have broken 2 self bow ( attempts) Russian olive is for mor experienced folks🤓And I have broken 1 oak 1 hickory board bows ( attempts) each on teaches me something.  I have my first success and it is a kick in the butt to sling arrows with it.  So take it from me JUST START SHAVING THAT WOOD and don't give up!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2016, 01:32:04 pm »
Well, you are at the start of the journey, enjoy the trip and post pics😉

+1, and take pics closer up so these ole eyes can see what you're illustrating.
Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marin

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2016, 09:35:57 pm »
Okay, well I was busy for the last 2 weeks (a Utah and Idaho trip) and returned without juniper (but instead with a nice osage stave my uncle gave me  :laugh:) but now I'm back. I just got in from rasping the sides of the limbs (well only half) with a Nicholson rasp. It took a while but after watching a rasping technique video by boarrior bows, i was able to do it quicker. However, I did notice that the  surface of my rasping job on one of the limbs doesn't feel exactly even, with one side of it being lower than the other at times, and that the profiles of some of my rasping jobs is not entirely even either. It's not noticeable at first glance but, for future reference, would this hinder the bows performance? And do you guys use Nicholson rasps on board bows or do you use surform rasps and drawknifes?
I'll post some pics of my rasping jobs. Tell me what you think.
I'll finish up other side tommorow (hopefully).

Offline Marin

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2016, 09:41:11 pm »
Here's the pics.
This is a profile of one of the limbs.cthe rasping job is on the top. The little dip near the tip is due to a mistake I made with sawing but the rest of it has been rasped down to the line. Am I supposed to keep the line or not?

Offline Marin

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2016, 09:42:11 pm »
More pics. How's my rasping job?

Offline bubby

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2016, 11:49:59 pm »
Personally surforms are almost worthless.try and just leave the line if you can, get everything as even as you can especially on the belly thickness

Offline bubby

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2016, 11:52:38 pm »
When you go to removing the belly hold the file in an angle and rasp to the line on both limbs. This will leave a crown or high center of the belly, then remove that crown

Offline Marin

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2016, 12:25:56 am »
That technique you just described was the one I was using on one of the limbs (I got it from boarrior a bows) but that was how I kind of got an uneven surface. That could because I don't have a line to raps down to on the other side however.

Offline Marin

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2016, 12:27:41 am »
Does slight unevenness of e profile matter however? I know the belly would matter (of course) but what of the sides? I mean from what I read it shouldn't matter but I am curious. Also, so do you use a Nicholson also?

Offline bubby

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2016, 12:30:54 am »
The closer to even the better but you are probably ok with the side profile right now. I use Nicholson and a bellotta farriers rasp

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2016, 11:53:14 am »
I don't have a line to raps down to on the other side however.

I draw limb thickness line on both edges of each limb.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marin

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2016, 07:42:31 pm »
Just got in. I finished rasping the profile. In general, I tried to get down to (or as close) to the line as possible. It's not perfectly straight but you can't tell without close inspection. I also rasped the handle and now my board looks a bit more like a bow. I'm going to rasp the belly tomorrow and possibly floor tiler and do final tillering on Friday. I am debating whether or not to make a tiller stick or tree as I am tempted to try and learn the technique that doesn't require it as I enjoy learning primitive techniques. I believe there is one technique I heard of where you place the back of the bow against your chest and pull out the string slightly to check the limb bending, then you shave off the parts that aren't bending evenly and then try it again. I don't know how well it works but is seems like some people swear by it. It would save me time and materials. Then again I haven't tillered a bow before. What do you guys suggest?
I'll post some pics