Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 84677 times)

Offline Marin

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2016, 07:45:14 pm »
Okay here's a pic of the profile of the bow now.

Offline Marin

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2016, 07:46:43 pm »
Here's the handle. I had a hard time trying to make the transition between handle and belly smooth and there is still a small lip if you can see. I know it's an aesthetics issue but how do you guys get rid of that?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2016, 09:30:33 pm »
Look at 5th pic. Fade should extend into limb. So handle doesn't pop off.

CHECK_OUT_THIS_LINK_http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002064;p=2

Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2016, 10:18:08 pm »
Do ya have a rounded side on your rasp or a four sided file?

Offline Marin

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2016, 10:46:54 pm »
I've got a rounded side.

Offline Marin

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2016, 01:10:15 am »
Oh forgot to ask, I'm going to trap my back after rasping the belly taper tommorow. How much of the back do I leave on?

Offline FilipT

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2016, 03:11:15 am »
Use drawknife or rasp to make transition smooth.

Offline bubby

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2016, 08:23:23 am »
DO NOT USE THE RASP TO TRAP THE BACK, just use a sanding block or a scraper and just remove enough to make the flat on the 45deg angle about 1/4" wide. Most of the back should remain
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2016, 09:39:46 am »
Lotsa good info for newbies here.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2016, 09:47:23 am »
Here's the handle. I had a hard time trying to make the transition between handle and belly smooth and there is still a small lip if you can see. I know it's an aesthetics issue but how do you guys get rid of that?

I like to pre-taper the handle on my belt sander BEFORE I glue it on to the belly of the bow.  ...and I agree that it likely should have been a bit longer to avoid the popped-off handle issues.  You can help prevent that issue with a silk or other fiber wrap that covers the transition.  Saturate the wrap in superglue or epoxy after you lay it down.

OneBow

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2016, 10:08:08 am »
I like to do it ahead of time as well after having the difficulty smoothing the transition myself. I found if I came at it across the side angled from the center I could take down each edge and then the center easier. I also put a super thin lam on the belly to avoid singing it at first, then once the lip was real small  I put a piece of paper and used the finer side of the rounded file, if ya remember that you are not going for a straight lined angle / from the belly to the handle. A gradual slope that gets increasingly steep to the heigth of the handle you are going for is better

Offline bubby

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2016, 12:45:48 pm »
the reason handles pop off is that the bow bends to much in that area.as long as the fades extend past the handle you should be all right but that area needs to blwnd in with more of a radius

Offline Marin

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2016, 01:26:07 pm »
Bubby,
When you mean the trapped back has to be 1/4 of an inch wide, you mean the chamfer has to be a fourth of an inch wide at a constant 45 degree angle all the way along the bow (including through the handle), right?
And handles pop off because  the transition is not good?  I don't think my fades extend past the handle. What should I do?

Offline bubby

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2016, 03:15:03 pm »
Yes try and just chamfer the back corners, i don't think you want to big of a trap is why i said 1/4", how long is the riser that you glued on?

Offline Marin

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2016, 03:25:41 pm »
The length you gave me: 8 inches