Author Topic: Cutting splices without a bandsaw  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Joec123able

Cutting splices without a bandsaw
« on: June 24, 2016, 02:25:17 pm »
So I've never tryed splicing two pieces of wood and I really want to try it to make use of some old Osage I had cut a few years ago. My problem is I don't have a bandsaw and I have no clue how to approach it using handtools. The only power tool I have is a handheld jigsaw. Anyone ever successfully cut splices without a bandsaw?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:28:50 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Cutting slices without a bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 02:30:53 pm »
Strike up friendship with a fella who has one?   >:D

I'm in same boat, so will be looking at the replies . . . most of which will likely be more helpful than mine.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline loon

Re: Cutting splices without a bandsaw
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 02:33:41 pm »
Maybe do a V-splice if it'd be easier..

I saw some video of people making a Turkish hornbow and cutting the splices with a hand saw, crazy. The wood was much flatter though.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 02:48:12 pm »
A very fine toothed hands as would work, depending on your skill with one. And a good jigsaw would work if you got your back flat enough. You could maybe use some sort of putty, or filler, (that would easily come off) to make the back temporarily flat. Drywall mud maybe? Make the cuts with the jigsaw, and remove fill. Just and idea. Cheers - Brendan

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 02:55:37 pm »
I live in a small town.  The high school ag teacher lets me use his bandsaw at school.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 03:19:42 pm »
You could temporarily glue a flat block to the belly side. Draw your splice template out in it to give a goot square surface to work on. And have fun with the fine tooth hand saw. Then you can get as close as you can using files and scrapers. If the joint needs to tighten up some more you can boil the ends and clamp then together. I've never fully done this method, but Ive read about people doing it several times.

Kyle

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 03:27:17 pm »
Get a good saw.  It's really not hard to use a handsaw accurately.  You can pause and check your work and make sure you are going straight through the billet by having a vertical view of your cut as you go.

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 03:32:28 pm »
You could maybe try to line everything up (one on top of the other) with hot glue and then cut them both at the same time...?

pics stolen from beaumont vance in ATARN

...if the staves aren't very thick, that is

and you'd need a very good handsaw. I'm thinking of getting japanese handsaws myself

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 03:38:27 pm »
A Japanese back saw will do it and they are relatively inexpensive.
 If you use a "Z" splice instead of a "W" splice you can cut both at the same time.
 Also, you will want to give the handle area a basic shape first. If you don't you will remove most of the splice shaping the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 05:52:16 pm »
Lots of good advice here, thank you all.
I like osage

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 08:35:51 pm »
I have used a V splice on lighter bow,, I think the other splices would be better say 40# and up. ,but I am just guessing,,

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:49:10 pm »
V splices were used in hornbows over 100# so I'm not sure if W splices are worth it. Maybe it has something to do with the way hornbows are laminated and/or wrapped in sinew at the splices?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:53:35 pm by loon »

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 08:59:44 pm »
V splices were used in hornbows over 100# so I'm not sure if W splices are worth it. Maybe it has something to do with the way hornbows are laminated and/or wrapped in sinew at the splices?

Is this an example of the V splice you're referring too?

I like osage

Offline loon

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 09:06:51 pm »
yeah..

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 11:02:20 pm »
A hornbow has the advantage of a backing and belly applied over and under the simple v splice.
  It's still adequate for a handle with a little help in depth and/or a handle block added.