Author Topic: The pine marten  (Read 5246 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
The pine marten
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:36:37 am »
A friend asked if I'd tan a pine marten for him.He shot it with a broadhead bear hunting somewhere.Cool looking little animal really.They live a bit farther north of me.Size wise about the size of a buck mink around here.Colored a nice brown to orangeish type shade with it's fur.Tanning it with aluminum sulfate/pickling salt combo in a 5 gallon bucket of about 2 gallons of water in it.
I've gotten more room made into my photobucket library so I'l take some pics later.I see on a few programs like Mountain men/Last Alaskans/Yukon men/Life below zero that this little animal pays a lot of bills up there and gets eaten by the notorious wolverine many times too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Zuma

Re: The pine marten
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 12:04:04 pm »
It will be interesting to see what you can do. :)
Those poor little buggers seem to be under a
lot of pressure lately :'(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 04:25:27 pm »
I'd love to see a picture! 
~Isaia

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 08:31:11 pm »
I might be far enough North but not enough pine trees here. I wish I could get half to money they always say on those shows. This year I didn't even sell any of my mink and only half  my red fox. Anybody trying to make a living off fur this year better be doing something with it besides selling it raw. I really got to start tanning my fur. I'll be watching for those pictures Ed.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 10:46:32 pm »
Yea I hear ya.Fur prices have hit rock bottom lately for coon/fox/mink/coyote/beaver/muskrat.I still think hides like wolverine and timberwolves bring a good price.It's a luxury you know.They say spruce trees are preferred by the marten.
Tanning hides for yourself has it's benefits for your own projects.Tanning this marten the way I am is'nt much of a big time consuming deal.He should be tanned in about 4 days I'd say.Pretty thin hided thing.I check by cutting a sliver from the edge of the hide.I can then see the progress of penetration of the chemical.

BowEd
Ed

Offline Mounter

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 02:13:45 am »
I've seen them a few times in Colorado while elk hunting. One almost ran into my lap while I was watching a meadow, it spooked when I tried to raise the camera.. A year or two later I saw one chasing a pine squirrel in a tree top. Reminded me of a pinball machine when the ball gets Bing bonging real fast off the obstacles. Not sure if he ever caught it or not?

Good luck with the hide, shouldn't be too tough of one.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:31:51 am »
Yes Mounter..Good example.I watched them too bear hunting in Canada years ago.Think they're in the weasel family and live off squirrels and chipmunks etc.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:40:55 pm »
Knotty....I've given the owner his hide and without a pic, maybe you can google what a pine martin looks like.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 10:41:15 am »
Ah , no problem! I just wanted to take a look at the hide. 😊

Thanks anyway!
~Isaia

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 11:17:34 am »
They caused a bit of storm here in England last year...nice to have them back :)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/15/pine-marten-spotted-in-england-for-the-first-time-in-over-100-years?CMP=share_btn_link
And also down here in the south, they have been spotted in the new forest this spring
Im presuming the same(?) www.wildnewforest.co.uk › pine-martens...
It will be interesting to see what you can do. :)
Those poor little buggers seem to be under a
lot of pressure lately :'(
Zuma

Hope that's cheerier news Zuma   :D
  Ruddy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:24:08 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 08:49:23 pm »
The pine marten is way farther up north of me.To check it's status googling might help.I think you'll find they are not endangered.There's none on this site that loves wildlife more than me.I've lived in the country my whole life around animals.Feed,protect,watch myself and pay into my environment through the Natural and Agricultural Departments here specifically to keep wild life intact.I am very up to date as far as the status of wildlife here in the states especially mine.Each state has it's own set of laws to keep these things in order.Annual quotas are taken by the DNR also.
A lot has been learned from mistakes in the past in the U.S.We still have quite a bit around us.Hopefully it will remain so.Some new successful introductions of native species have been made too.
Showing the tanning of a hide I hope does'nt make anyone think it's a slaughter all situation going on over here.It is'nt.
I hear it's a bit different in the UK.No hunting hardly anywhere.That is a shame.Good interaction with wildlife is the only way to learn about them.Hopefully that little fella will find a mate.
I have hides and fur all around me in my house.Always have and always will.If that offends you.You'll have to take it up with the government because I know what I'm doing here is right and legal.
Here's some fairly recent pics of just a liitle of the wildlife right by the house here.

Large and small they all get looked after.
BowEd
Ed

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 09:45:43 pm »
Hey Beadman, I hope my post didn't read  anything like that to you...I certainly wasn't aiming to imply anything of that kind or make any insinuation, when I first read this post I remembered hearing about the pine Marten being spotted in England last year after 100 years absence and Zuma's post seemed like a good que to post the news about them over here, I was aiming at humour, your knowledge and respect for the wilderness no doubt shames mine. It be interesting to see what you do with this hide. Great pics  8)

Ruddy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 10:00:26 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 07:41:25 am »
No....Sorry myself too.I'm no expert just old and know what I know....lol.Kuddos to you fellas in the UK for appreciating the sport of archery.I was just really posting a quick easy way to tan a small hide in a bucket is all.
BowEd
Ed

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 08:38:35 am »
Dadgummit, Ed! I love that shot of Ol Baldy!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 02:00:35 pm »
Scot...That was took by Robin with her new camera.She just missed getting a pic of a big horned owl and some coyotes too.
Say your gonna get a package in the mail soon.Nothing much but thought you could use it somewhere.
BowEd
Ed