Author Topic: Snaky Osage Split?  (Read 3981 times)

cool_98_555

Snaky Osage Split?
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:46:16 pm »
Hello everyone,

I just received an awesome snakey osage stave today.  It is 72" long, 3 1/4"-3 1/2" wide, and 2" thick full length.  It was cut in March of this year and has been sealed.  I want to split this stave into two equal 1 1/2" staves, but I don't want the split to be too narrow in some spots.  Knowing that it is snaky, will the split still accurately follow the middle of the stave if I start the split down the exact center?  I don't want it to be narrower on one end.  This is such a nice stave!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: Snaky Osage Split?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 04:48:03 pm »
1 bow is better than no bow. Don't split it

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 05:04:51 pm »
1 bow is better than no bow. Don't split it

1+
That's basically no wiggle room for error

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 05:06:25 pm »
I agree with Gut. I've been fortunate but none of those I've done have turned out perfect. On a snakey stave I usually get one good and something I can use for a kids bow. If the grain is easy to read I would mark it well following the grain and use a band saw.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 05:07:21 pm »
I wouldn't try it. I've ruined a HHB stave trying it before
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 05:23:39 pm »
You can. You run the risk of the split running off wildly and ruining one side. You should at a minimum still get one good one. Just start in the center of one end with a chisel. Once you have it started opening up, move up the stave and control where you want it split by driving in another chisel where you want it to split. If your lucky it will run perfectly straight ( following the grain). That width is pretty dicey I think. Your limb edges may be undercut in spots. That's no Bueno.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 05:42:23 pm »
I wouldn't split it, it could end up running off and delaminating on one of the stave's curves.
Unless you try cutting it in the exact middle of the grain with a bandsaw.
~Isaia

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 05:43:48 pm »
just go for the one bow on that one,,
sometimes there are unseen issues ,, that might cause one stave to be no good, the the other compromised cause of the split,,
if you go for one, and you have some issue ,, you can work around it,, ,, if you go for two,, you don't have any wiggle room,,

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 05:46:57 pm »
Osage is tough to come by for me. I'd do as Fred suggested, mark the wiggle down the centre and use a band saw

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 06:09:23 pm »
chase a ring and lay out a center line following the grain will show you what you have.

every snakey stave I had you could only get one bow.

the split stave that you have does not always follow the grain, so your stave may only make one bow
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

cool_98_555

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 06:47:05 pm »
I don't have a bandsaw, but I was thinking about cutting down the center with a jigsaw.  If I do it and it comes out perfect, that will leave 1.5" wide on both staves.  I only go to 1.25" wide on most of my bows, so I have a little room there but not much.  On the other hand, I don't want to screw up such a nice stave.  Haven't had a snaky stave this nice in a long time.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 06:47:12 pm »
That's what I'd do too. Remove the bark and sapwood if it wasn't already and bring it to a single heartwood ring.... THEN weigh your options. You'll have a better idea of what's possible then. The times I've gotten greedy, neither piece was exactly what I wanted. Important: make sure you'd have enough meat for the handle(s) too. Often, that's the first place I run out of wood when I try this.

If you do want to risk it, follow the grain to establish a cut line as was mentioned, then use a bandsaw. This will eliminate any waste along the edges that would have occurred had you split it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 06:48:31 pm »
A jigsaw for that task? I don't think that's a good idea.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 02:40:36 am »
If you are desperate to try and get two bows then get a small drill bit, mark your 'split' line and then drill all the way along it - its called chain drilling. Your split WILL follow the holes but you've got to be accurate with them.