Author Topic: Too cute for words  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Too cute for words
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:49:13 am »
We were coming back from a small outing last night and just as we were puling into the driveway I spotted something about 1/4 mile down the road.  It was a very odd looking thing and looked to be about the size of a small Dog but with a lot of white flashing in it and low to the ground.  I couldn't imagine what it could be and then  thought Wolverine.  I backed out of the driveway and went down for a look.  As we got near the shape scurried into the tall grasses of the ditch.  As we slowly went by we both caught a glimpse of what it was and started to laugh.  It was a mother Skunk with about 6 babies scurrying around her and the white was their tails up in the air bobbing here and there like plumes.  I'm  not terribly fond of Skunks but this was just too cute for words.  Those little ones were giving the mother a fretful  time but she was a good mother.  We went past her and turned around and by that time they had come back up to the road but as we approached down into the ditch she went again.  I've never seen anything like this before but it was worth seeing.  We had our cell phones but no real opportunity to take a pic.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Too cute for words
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 10:46:06 am »
One time I saw something very similar a mother skunk with nine babies following her across a field just like baby ducks all lined up trailing behind
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 11:09:55 am »
Baby skunks are super cute.  We had a litter living under our barn many years ago. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 11:21:03 am »
Lots of city skunks and raccoons in my area.
I love how the babies follow mom in a single file

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 01:49:58 pm »
No doubt those little stinkers are cute!  I have run into skunks many a time in the woods, prairies, and in town.  Other than the initial shock, calm quickly resumed and we got on with our personal lives with little or no disturbance. 

Once while antelope hunting, I had crawled as close as I could get to a herd without exposing myself too badly.  I settled into an old buffalo wallow and relaxed, watching the herd slowly graze across the prairie towards me.  I heard an odd snuffling noise behind me and turned to see an scarred faced, notched ear boss stink-cat occupying the wallow with me.  I quietly said "hello" and introduced myself.  Her shiny black nose was dancing back and forth as she took in my scent (which after 5 days of camping and hard hunting was not inconsiderable). She moved up to take a position about 4 ft off my right shoulder on the side of the buffalo wallow and settled in, almost as if keeping company.  When it became obvious she was not leaving and was not the least concerned about my continued presence, I decided to snack on some of the fruit in my vest pockets.  Being of the Western mindset, I offered to share.  I tossed her a few bites of apple and a couple grapes.  The apple was eaten, but the grapes were something she turned an indifferent eye towards.  Eventually, some road hunters drove up on the gravel road a half mile off and began throwing Hail Mary rounds into the air and I had to backcrawl the hell out of there to keep from being plugged. 

I kinda regret bailing out on such a pleasant hunting companion.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 07:14:03 pm »
Here's one of those little buggers. :)
I stayed away from his/her siblings and momma. :P
This little grub digger paid me little attention.  ???
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 08:43:47 am »
They are cute that's for sure and are native here too.Plenty of close encounters with them in the past.They are arrogant little things and know the value of their weapon.
A neighboring farmer once caught a few crossing his driveway at night while driving home and put them in his trunk.His driveway was full of pot holes.Needless to say his vehicle stayed parked outside for a while.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 08:50:46 am »
I was too young to remember this but my dad found a very young Skunk when I was a baby and took it in,  this is the story he told me our "pet".  Skunks can't spray when they are really young so he raised it without any trouble and it became part of our family.  One day he met a school teacher and was telling her about our Skunk pet and she thought this was really neat so she wanted to bring it into the classroom to show her students.  He brought it over and left it with her.  Unfortunately the children got the Skunk a bit too "excited", I'm sure you know what happened next.  My dad got a call to come pick up the Skunk......
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com