Author Topic: Grandpas old post finished  (Read 7840 times)

Offline DuBois

Grandpas old post finished
« on: July 20, 2016, 06:40:27 pm »
First of 3 staves from Grandpas old fence post. Started with the worst one for practice. I'm really loving working on this one. I tried heating out that big kink in the lower but it just didn't want to leave and I gave up.
61" n-n
7" handle

Finished pics page 3. This is just for comparison due to big set mostly in upper limb.

40 @ 28"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:18:01 pm by DuBois »

Offline DuBois

Re: Tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 07:21:24 pm »
short drawn

Offline DuBois

Re: Tiller check
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 07:27:06 pm »
front

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 07:34:38 pm »
 8) My eyes tell me you are close because of the unstrung profile. Let me finish my glass of Barefoot Shiraz and I'll do a double take.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 08:32:49 pm »
Shiraz hell hope I'm close :o

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:46:10 pm »
You are not close but should you ever be you are more than welcome.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:57:39 pm »
I've got one of those been curing for years, just not ready for it yet though this one will be a 20 some #'r for one of the grand kids.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:30:25 pm »
Well if I ever get around there I will sure look you up Fred. Nice old stave.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 09:53:53 pm »
Bring your saw and your truck. I'll send you home with some hackberry, mulberry, black walnut, and maybe some elm.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 09:55:40 pm »
That is a cool piece of wood!  It is looking good so far.  That "kink" in the lower limb makes tillering a bit harder.  Top limb is looking good to me in the brace picture as well as the short draw picture.  The bottom limb looks to be bending hard at that dark spot 3 boards up from the bottom tip (brace pic) and in the short draw.  It looks stiff below (about a board width) and above this to me.  Before removing a bunch of wood though, I would get a few more opinions!  :laugh:
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 10:43:38 pm »
Yup, from the bottom of the handle fade section down to the knot where the limbs are uneven thickness.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 11:20:34 pm »
That's a wonderful looking stick, DuBois.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 02:46:12 am »
Wow, that's a cool stave, and a tricky one. It's hard enough for me to tiller those buggers when I have it in my hands but even harder when all I have is some pictures. I use my fingers to make sure there is a consistent taper. I trust them more than I trust my eyes on wiggly staves. I would be paying attention to the bottom mid limb and looking out for a potential hinge forming there. Unless my eyes are tricking me it seems like that area is coming around a lot more than any other area, but it's hard to tell for sure. Keep us updated. Good luck.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 04:26:38 am »
Good advice above from master Weylin.
When I work on staves like this, I bring first the limbs in balance (looking at the side profile). Or in other words, I would heat in an equal reflex in both limbs using a caul. This makes tillering a lot easier ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 08:44:39 am »
Looks good to me. Just remember that "kinked" areas need to bend just as much as the rest of the limb.  That's what makes them hard to tiller
Jawge
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:15:10 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!