Author Topic: Anyone have any recommendations for internet service providers  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Anyone have any recommendations for internet service providers in remote areas? We have only one choice where I reside and was wondering if there is an option such as satellite that is reliable and what kind of costs to expect.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Anyone have any recommendations for internet service providers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 10:39:59 am »
We had Hughes Net for a while and I hated it.  Now we have a Verizon Wireless WIFI hotspot.  It gets a good signal and the speed is fast enough for anything that we do on it.  We have it bundled with our cell phones so I don't know the exact cost.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 11:01:45 am »
Expect all the major wireless providers have similar plans.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 11:13:29 am »
I haven't had TV for 7+ yrs and was considering going with Direct. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to all of the latest gadgets and options available. Local telephone service and high speed internet (5mb) currently runs about 95 bucks a month.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 11:30:27 am »
I don't know if this is in your area or not, but here you go!

http://www.ais-ne.com/index.php/internet-service
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 01:52:15 pm »
If you don't use much internet and you get decent cell service you could get a hotspot. You could add it to an existing phone or get something dedicated. I recently got a freedompop hotspot from amazon so I can work from wherever. I get 500MB a month free which isn't a lot, but hopefully enough for the odd times I'll use it.
Trevor

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 03:29:39 pm »
And this is why I'm torn about living in the city or out in the country. Being in IT for a living and being a huge nerd on top of that internet access is pretty important to me. I'm not addicted like some, I can certainly go weeks without using it while I'm at a reenactment or camping etc., but day to day when I'm home, I need my internet access, I don't watch TV through cable etc.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 03:31:15 pm »
Joe, their cutoff point is about 100 miles east of me.

Trevor, I'd eat that up in short order. I spend a lot of time on the net.

I'm looking at some other options but sure willing if anyone has any more suggestions.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 05:27:14 pm »
Well you can buy more, in fact that's what they're counting on. If you're likely to use more regularly though you might be better adding it your cell plan if you're phone is hotspot capable. A friend of mine recently added it to his. I think he got something like 12GB a month for about $35.
Trevor

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 07:39:08 pm »
I use verizon. Only other option I have is satellite . The few people I know near me that use satellite seem to have reliability problems and speed is usually not better than verizon. I never have problems with mine.
Steve Bennett

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 09:20:42 pm »
We use satellite up here and it's pretty fast and reliable although a bit pricey at $75 for 60gb.  Still it's much better than any other options available
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 08:25:32 am »
We use the same Verizon set up that Osage Outlaw has.
It works very well.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama