Author Topic: Red Oak with Gopher Snake Skins  (Read 5257 times)

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
Red Oak with Gopher Snake Skins
« on: July 30, 2016, 12:21:55 am »
I've wanted to share some of my work from this past year, and I've finally got around to taking pictures.

First off, I have Bubby to thank for this one. I had the privilege of meeting up with him when I was living in NorCal. I had this board glued up and laid out and I received some of the best hands on tutoring I have ever had. This bow was the first time it all 'clicked' with me and made me confident enough to pursue more. In addition, I have to thank everyone who has ever posted on this message board. Information is never really free, so thank you for the time, the skill, and the dedication to helping out a new generation carry on this ancient skill.  ;D

This was a nice, dense board from the Home Depot of all places and it was much paler than the other boards around it, and significantly heavier, so I nabbed it. The gopher snake was found dead on the road a year previous to this bows building (2015) and found a resting place on it's back. First snake backing, not too shabby, though it's got some battle scars.  ;)  Bubby and I roughed out and tillered it basically in a few hours (it was mostly Bub, and I learned loads watching) and I shot it in some before adding the finishing touches. And I was made aware that the upper limb could use a little more work, but I was hasty and left it. Forgive me! I have had thoughts of re working it...

Anyway, it's 68 nock to nock, weighs in at about 48# @ 26 inches and is SILENT. I am amazed every time I shoot it. I need to wear a bracer though because the upper limb curves toward my wrist and it smacks something awful. Hope you enjoy.  :)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:53:26 am by DesertDisciple »
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline jandersson

Re: Red Oak with Gopher Snake Skins
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 12:44:23 am »
Never thought an oak board could look so stylish!!

And as someone who just picked up this hobby I could not have said it better myself, there's a lot of great people here in this forum and I very much appreciate your patience!

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 01:03:05 am »
I might have went a little crazy with it ;D

And I thank you for yours as well! I hope to add more to this forum in the future.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 06:42:02 am »
Nice job Andrew, love that 1st arrow though your first bow it feels so great. Actually they all feel great, just something about shooting your own bow. Bow looks nice but to me full draw picture looks like arrow is knocked way low which could be part of reason top limb looks like it's bending so much more. I could be wrong but that's what I'm seeing on my phone.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 06:47:03 am »
Oh I almost forgot your holding the bow with the wrong hand. 😊
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 06:53:53 am »
Oh I almost forgot your holding the bow with the wrong hand. 😊

that is the right hand he is holding the bow with. Hehe. Nothing like being a south paw. Nice job on your RED OAK bow. Really like the pattern on that snake.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 07:00:02 am »
That is a sweet looking board bow.   The tiller looks good.  The way it's canted can make the limbs look a little different.  Nice job on the skins.  That snake has a nice pattern.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 07:09:33 am »
Looks like a real nice bow, especially for a first. Cool that you got to hang out and get some help from bubby, that old cowboy knows a thing or two about bows.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 08:51:45 am »
That's a real looker right there. I too had hands on instruction on my first one and that's invaluable!  Nice nice! 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 09:07:52 am »
Yep, Bub's one of the good guys.

Nice job on the bow!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 10:23:55 am »
Nice pics Andrew wish mine were that good😃. I'm glad you are still making
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 10:27:24 am »
great lookin bow, bubby is top notch in my book.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 10:48:14 am »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I only hope to get better as I go.

Bub, send me all your bows and I'll give you PLENTY of pictures 😉haha. I'm lucky to have a wife who is an awesome photographer.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 11:25:58 am »
That's a fantastic board bow. Well done

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 12:27:30 pm »
I won't fault a new bowyer for getting carried away with putting lipstick on the pig...especially when the pig can dance and sing like this one!  Besides, I really don't think the arrow cares a rat's rotating rectum whether it is a board bow, stave bow, first-fiftieth-or final bow froma bowyer....all it knows is the physical force acting on it.  And that is what counts...does it throw an arrow for ya? Answer:  Oh yeah, and with such style!

I'm lucky to have a wife.

I corrected your quote.  Now that you are addicted to this, the above statement will be much more true as you track wood shavings thru the house, stash roadkill in the freezer for later, and use the wife's nicest cookware to simmer a batch of stinking-to-high-heaven hide glue!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.