Author Topic: Black locust static recurve build along  (Read 14233 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Black locust static recurve build along
« on: July 30, 2016, 12:30:44 pm »
Im got a request from a guy to build a 90* static recurve from a good friend of my uncle. Around that request he left the playing field open on what to do with it. So I'm going for black locust with a small stiff handle. I havnt done a static recurve in a while or a proper build along, so why not now.

I started with a black locust stave around 62" long and about 2.5" wide. A little short for my plans, but I'll see if I can make it work. The goal is 50-55# at 28".

I don't have to chase but one ring to get where I wanted. To make the bow even better I decided to go with a sapwood back. So far this morning I've got a ring chased with a profile layout doodled on, and roughed out into a blank. For dimensuons I ended up going with 4" handle, 2" fades, and 27" limbs from fade to tip. So to be able to get the draw length I need I made the limbs 1 7/8" wide which is as wide as the stave allowed me to go. Tapering to 1 5/8 midlimb the. Down to 5/8 tips. The plan is to deflex the fades a bit to reduce some strain once o have the hooks bent. As a way to help make up for the short limbs. I'd prefer if the limbs were longer. But I don't mind a challenge. If it turned out that I need to I can always thin the handle and make it flex a bit.
I want to get it to brace before I do any of the bending so it'll be easier to make the wood move.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Black locust static recurve build along
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 12:31:51 pm »
And a couple more pictures of what I've got done so far this morning.

Kyle

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 12:38:03 pm »
Why do you think leaving a sapwood back would make it better? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 12:49:57 pm »
More just a cosmetic thing. I love the look of black locust sapwood on a bow. I have no idea of whether or not it's actually better or worse than heartwood in performance.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 02:35:20 pm »
Here's a few more of where I'm finishing up for the day. It's floor tillered  good enough to long string it with the corners rounded. The next day I work on it I'll be cutting temporary nocks and getting a long string on it. Right now the blank is still a bit green so I'll be taking my time over the next few weeks so it can dry out better. I'm going to seal the back with some cheap wood glue to keep it from cracking too bad while I put it in my truck on hot days to help it dry out quicker.

Kyle

Offline FilipT

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 02:49:14 pm »
I don't get it, where is sapwood?
My pyramid black locust bow blew near 28" on tiller few days ago. I removed sapwood and wood underneath had some weird discoloration spots and on one of those it had broken (on back). I'll start again with better staves I have.
Sapwood here looks and feels really bad, impossible to leave it on and expect bow to survive.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 03:53:35 pm »
It should be in the last ring of sapwood/ first of heart wood area. I might have gone a bit under that. Though I only took one ring layer away from under the bark. Unless I had already removed a layer or two of sapwood and forgot about it when I had removed the bark. The last couple I've done like this i couldn't tell it was sapwood backed until I put some finish on it when there was a very distinct color difference.

Kyle

Offline ajooter

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 04:34:00 pm »
Lookin great MoCoon....this should be fun to follow.  You used a drawknife for a lot of your wood removal I assume?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 08:54:57 am »
Yup. I used the draw knife for almost all the wood removal. I even used it to get a rough bend going. I used the scraper to cleanup and smooth out the cuts. I'll probably be swapping over to just the scraper for the rest of the work now.

Kyle

Offline ajooter

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 09:20:21 am »
I figured...those were some nice looking shavings.  I'm not as proficient with mine.  I can chase a ring..but that's about it!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 10:43:46 pm »
Do put the blade bevel toward the wood or toward you Ajooter? I find I have better control with the bevel toward the wood. It changes the angle you have to hold to get a cut, but it tends to not dig in as much. If I need to remove a larger section of wood I'll flip it around and let it dig in some. It's like any thing else though, practice makes perfect(or at least better).

I'm in the middle of a BL build myself at the moment. Your's is looking good so far. Just be careful with the force dry, I had one check on me right down the center of the handle and about 4 inches up both limbs. Totally my fault though, I knew it was too early to start on it, but was exited to work a nice clean stave. Lesson learned.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 02:19:35 am »
I'm a BL fan but never left a sap wood ring on. I'm gonna follow along I might try it on my next BL bow

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 02:37:17 am »
I'll be watching this one.  I know you can do it!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 08:47:33 am »
While you are letting that stave dry.....
Take a few photos of your Vice and its set-up.
And, Show us how you use it.

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 08:58:54 am »
That's the Kyle I know  . . . stave to floor tillered in a day!   ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857