Author Topic: Make some you break some  (Read 3788 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Make some you break some
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 11:06:07 am »
I mostly only use the draw knife for mass removal, and chasing rings. I use my Bellotta rasp for Super heavy removal. Scraper for chasing rings and tiller.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 12:29:04 pm »
Yep, I'm a draw-knife guy as well.  I use a rasp around the handle, but that's about it.  I have watched the rasp guys working and they can make it sing for them.

Rasps can hog off alot of material QUICK. But if your not careful iv3 had split wood pretty bad on me using the rough side. I can't wait till tomorrow when eddie trades me one of his draw knives
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 12:47:19 pm »
I just lightly run the coarse side of a farriers rasp down the belly to leave an even pattern of marks. Then I scrape the marks off with a scraper. This was mentioned in TBB somewhere.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 02:18:20 pm »
I just lightly run the coarse side of a farriers rasp down the belly to leave an even pattern of marks. Then I scrape the marks off with a scraper. This was mentioned in TBB somewhere.

I just went out and bought a paint scraper and it does more harm than good.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 02:43:01 pm »
I made this scraper from scraps off the shop floor basically. Total cost, nadda. It works really well and is easy on my old hands. I think it's similar to the one Dean Torges made.

Online sleek

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 03:26:07 pm »
Im a knife guy. Most yall know this but i take pride in being what seems like the only one. A good 7 inch heavy blade will do absolutely everything you need it to do in bow making. Stock tomocal to scraping, carving nocks and handle, you can even carve out an arrow pass if you so desire.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 03:47:00 pm »
I made this scraper from scraps off the shop floor basically. Total cost, nadda. It works really well and is easy on my old hands. I think it's similar to the one Dean Torges made.
That's pretty snazzy. I'm making a handle for my rasp out of China berry now.  I might have to try something like this.

Sleek knife making is my other hobby too. I'm very new and doing stock removal method but that metal sure is expensive!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 04:02:28 pm »
Buddy of mine makes these for me.  I have ones of all different sizes, but this one is the one I reach for most.  Keeps a good burr as well.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Online sleek

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 04:08:11 pm »

Make yourself one of these. You wont ever need another tool. Its my own design though I am certain similar to many others. I call it the K_Hawk. Its a cross between a K-Bar and a Kukuri,  and my name is Kevin Hawkins. K-Hawk is fitting I do believe.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 04:35:54 pm »
I think it's really cool all the various ways people go about this task.  I will almost never say "this is the way you should be doing it", as many times it was me that learned something new and changed tactics, by watching others.  Neat tool sleek.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.