Author Topic: Make some you break some  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Justin.schmidt23

Make some you break some
« on: August 05, 2016, 03:18:01 am »
Well I've attempted to build 3 bows, 2 read oak board bowso and a sugarberry stave. So far Ivery completed one. But everytime I've learned something, this time....DON'T RUSH AND USE A SAWZALL! horrible idea. Especially when i cut on the line instead of leaving some meat.After trying to fix my Sawzall mistakes with a rasp I ended up with ugly fades that weren't symmetrical and a 7/8 wide handle  :-[ but it's okay cause Saturday I'm getting my first draw knife and will go back to anti electric tools.
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline Strichev

Re: Make some you break some
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 05:01:44 am »
Draw knife is love, draw knife is life. (sorry for such jejune post but it's true)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 06:37:49 am »
Good luck Justin, you learned one of the most important things it's not a race. You really do have to read the wood and tiller is so important. I'm still guilty of rushing drying my staves but it's all I have to work with since I've just started this adventure. I do have a nice supply of sraves properly cureing now so in the future hope to fix that problem. Another thing I can see in you is not quitting aditude, using life's lessons to learn from. I know you can do it routin for ya.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 08:29:49 am »
Good luck Justin, you learned one of the most important things it's not a race. You really do have to read the wood and tiller is so important. I'm still guilty of rushing drying my staves but it's all I have to work with since I've just started this adventure. I do have a nice supply of sraves properly cureing now so in the future hope to fix that problem. Another thing I can see in you is not quitting aditude, using life's lessons to learn from. I know you can do it routin for ya.
Bjrogg

Thanks man. I absolutely love this craft and quitting just ain't in me :)  from now on I'd much rather sweat and go slow and do it right than rush with power tools. But I'm just glad I have a stash of staves and woods behind my house

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 08:30:50 am »
Patience is a bowyers best tool. After that a rasp and a scraper. If you can stick with these tools it's hard to get in a rush. From floor tiller on I use primarily a scraper with a little rasp work where needed. A half round rasp works great for your fades. Sawzall blades probably make good scrapers but other than that leave the sawzall to the plumbers and demo experts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 08:35:01 am »
Patience is a bowyers best tool. After that a rasp and a scraper. If you can stick with these tools it's hard to get in a rush. From floor tiller on I use primarily a scraper with a little rasp work where needed. A half round rasp works great for your fades. Sawzall blades probably make good scrapers but other than that leave the sawzall to the plumbers and demo experts.

Yeah I'm learning that the hard way ;)
What sucks is no stores around me have a half round rasp. I've checked HD, TSC, Ace, rural king. They ain't got nothing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 08:37:03 am »
Ask at ACE. I bet they'll order one for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline FilipT

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:42:57 am »
I don't have scraper nor rasps and use drawknife for everything. I have full control with it (lots of practice) and can do scraping while tillering by tilting blade perpendicular to wood, I can chase growth rings, I can follow basic dimensions to the line, etc.
I am happy with that, even though few rasps, spokeshave's and rat tail file for nocks would be good. But these things are all really expensive here and being a student I don't have money to invest in both the tools and auxiliary stuff needed in bow making.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 08:52:20 am »
do you have any tack shops around you, as in places that sell saddles or stuff for horses?  It's a good bet that if you do, they will have farriers rasps there - and they will likely be a lot cheaper than what you could order off line.  I have a tack shop down the road from me and they sell rasps for about 9 bucks a pop.  And let me tell you, they are AWESOME for making bows.  Hogs wood off nice and steady and fast, but they have a file side to for more control.  When I got a good farriers rasp I threw away all the crappy 4 ways and chisel/rasps I had bought from the big box stores - a good rasp plus a draw knife will make your work so much more enjoyable you won't believe it.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 08:58:40 am »
do you have any tack shops around you, as in places that sell saddles or stuff for horses?  It's a good bet that if you do, they will have farriers rasps there - and they will likely be a lot cheaper than what you could order off line.  I have a tack shop down the road from me and they sell rasps for about 9 bucks a pop.  And let me tell you, they are AWESOME for making bows.  Hogs wood off nice and steady and fast, but they have a file side to for more control.  When I got a good farriers rasp I threw away all the crappy 4 ways and chisel/rasps I had bought from the big box stores - a good rasp plus a draw knife will make your work so much more enjoyable you won't believe it.

Yeah we have a store like that but no half rounds there.
I have a farriers rasp that was given to me and I lovery it. Itshirt been basically my only tool for wood removal since I started.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 09:22:56 am »
Power tools are best left after some experience is gained in bow making. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 09:43:45 am »
patb gave me this advice way back in the day, never work on a bow in a bad mood, angry or upset because you will transfer all that to the bow, 😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 09:46:14 am »
That's a fact.  I'm naturally a very impatient person but I like to do things the right way also. On bow making you can't have both. So it's time to learn some patients!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 10:11:09 am »
I use mostly my draw knife but sometimes knots will tear on you and you need file or rasp. When I'm close to finishing I wrap file with 60 grit Emory cloth much more durable than sandpaper.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 10:21:27 am »
Yep, I'm a draw-knife guy as well.  I use a rasp around the handle, but that's about it.  I have watched the rasp guys working and they can make it sing for them.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.