Author Topic: First try at FG Micarta  (Read 6002 times)

Offline osage outlaw

First try at FG Micarta
« on: August 08, 2016, 10:09:04 pm »
I'm making a hunting knife for my daughter as a surprise gift.  She knows I'm making something for her but she doesn't know what it is.  I asked her what colors she liked and she said purple and black.  I didn't have anything that color so I figured I'd try to make something.  I watched some youtube videos on how to make fiberglass micarta.  It seemed simple enough. 

I bought some white burlap and RIT dye for $3 each.

The colors turned out pretty good after a 30 minute soak in the dye.  I picked up a can of Fiberglass resin from lowes for $15.

I mixed the resin with slightly about half of the recommended amount of hardener.  That gave me more working time before it set up.  I put a layer of resin down on wax paper and then put a strip of burlap on it.  I kept putting down more resin and alternating colors of burlap. 

I made a jig for pressing it down.  Most of the people in the videos I watched just used two boards and some clamps.  The jig has spacers between two aluminum plates so it makes an even thickness when its tightened down.  It squeezed a lot of excess resin out. 

I was going to let it dry until my next day off but it seemed to harden up pretty fast.  I set it out in the sun so that probably helped.  It took a while to get the two plates apart.  The resin had set up on the threads.  Next time I'm going to spray the jig down with non stick cooking spray. 

I trimmed up the edges and peeled the wax paper off.  It looks good so far.  I have a 2.5" x 12" flat piece ready to use.  It set up very solid and hard. 

I don't know how well the purple will show up on the inside once is shaped and sanded.  I rounded off one corner to see what it looks like.  I can see the purple layers but the black is more prominent.  Maybe I should have used 2 layers of purple for every one layer of black. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

Re: First try at FG Micarta
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 10:13:18 pm »
Wait till its done it might show up more with finish
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 11:01:24 pm »
If it doesn't work for knife scales I'll have 4 years worth of tip overlay material  ;D

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:11 am »
Man, I saw FG in the title and for half a second I thought you were trying to make a FG bow, lol. That's pretty cool man, and she has good taste in colors :)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:04:17 am »
It should pop out pretty well when its all said and done. Cooking spray will work really well. When I was painting roads that is what we used to coat our stencils before we painted.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Online Will B

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 10:09:48 am »
That should be a great knife for your daughter.  I like your jig..

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 12:23:17 pm »
Good idea OO. Atleast the purple will show up on the outside of the scale

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 06:40:22 pm »
That's gonna look good with a finish on it, Clint. When I used to glass we would rub the molds down with about three layers of car wax. It lifts off easy then.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 06:51:50 pm »
You really don't mind doing everything from scratch, do you?  I know you say you do these things because of a thin wallet, but I have a sneaking suspicion you got a highly inquisitive mind and enjoy figgerin' things out!

She's gonna love it, sir!  I guarantee it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 09:20:28 pm »
JW, it's probably a 50/50 split.   I do like figuring out how to put things together to make a usable finished product. 

Thanks for the wax tip Mullet. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 09:22:36 pm »
I'm thinking your probably right there JW. Its always nice to make something special for someone special that will like it more than something you bought at the store.  always enjoy your builds Osage, never know whats coming next.
bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 03:37:34 pm »
Looks cool so far Clint! I'm curious how it turns out. I've been thinking about doing this and trying to make a few game calls from it. Thanks for posting!

Tattoo Dave

Rockford, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 08:07:07 pm »
Tattoo Dave,  have you seen the natural burlap micarta?  That would look cool on some calls.  I plan on getting some construction paper and trying that out.  The blue jean micarta looks good also. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 09:23:11 pm »
The blue jean micarta looks good also.

yes!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:27:31 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 09:35:06 pm »
Have you guys seen the scrap, old camo clothes?
Tattoo Dave,  have you seen the natural burlap micarta?  That would look cool on some calls.  I plan on getting some construction paper and trying that out.  The blue jean micarta looks good also. 
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?