Author Topic: My first bow.  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Swamp Thang

My first bow.
« on: August 12, 2016, 04:18:54 pm »
Okay so the title maybe misleading this is actually my 2nd bow all together the one I tried before was doomed before I could even begin to tiller. Accidently drop some tools on it and well I turned it into my first hand drill fire kit lol...  Anyways I came upon a problem on this bow I shot it for about a week trying to decide if I wanted to back it when I noticed two cracks on the back I'd say about an inch apart. Could I remedy this with some sanding and a sinew backing? And was the cause a hint or over drawing it?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: My first bow.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 04:29:19 pm »
I would say the cause is from the sizable hinge you have in the limb.  Bottom suffers from the same issue.  My first few tillers looked very similar to this so no rock throwing from inside this glass house.  My advise is start your next one.  Post pics as you go and you can have a shooter in no time.  Fixing this one with a backing is not something I would spend a great deal of time on as you can spend that same time on another and end up far ahead of where you would be on reworking this one.  Congrats on jumping in amongst them!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 05:15:10 pm »
I agree with slimbob. If you look at picture your almost straight out of fades to mid limbs then straighten back out again. Most of your bend seems to be mid limbs. You just need to start another and spread that bend out more evenly on your whole limb.
PS You could retire that 1st one to save it but I'm afraid if you keep shooting it it won't last. I'm like slimbob my 1st had hinge to. It didn't survive broke it by a hinge after about 150 shoots.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 05:30:34 pm »
Thanks guys I figured it was a hint sigh I'm already on to the next one probably have it roughed out this weekend.....I blame the A.D.D.

Thinking about a 50" pyramid style bow.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:35:15 pm by Swamp Thang »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 05:45:47 pm »
If I can offer some advice.  Go longer on your first few.  So much easier to get a decent shooter from a longer bow.  50 inches with your draw length, I'm guessing 27' or so, you will need to get it bending thru the handle.  Even then 25 inches or thereabouts is about all you can reasonably expect.  These shorties with the stiff handles can be problematic.  Basic rule of thumb...length of the bow needs to be double the draw length plus any non-bending areas.  For good measure, add a little to that even. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 05:56:51 pm »
×2 with slimbob, a 50" bow with a stiff handle should realistically only be drawing about 21" as a selfbow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 07:22:50 pm »
Oops    ::)

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 07:25:32 pm »
The main reason I'd like to build a shortie is because we live in a very thick brush area would a it be reasonable to make it 21" draw maybe 50 pounds or more at that length

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 07:49:50 pm »
That would work. Again, follow the rule of thumb regarding bow length/draw length and your good.

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 07:54:12 pm »
Swamp Thang,  I posted a  51" rigid handled Mollegabet that drew 25" as a self bow and then was given to Don Burchette who gave it one layer of sinew and it wound up at over 60# @ 27 inches.....

use the search button at the top and type in " Polk Salad Annie " and see what ya think sir.
rich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 08:01:47 pm »
Since you are new to bow making I would suggest starting out with longer bows.  Once you get good at tillering then start going shorter until you figure out what fits your draw length and your hunting style.   That's just my opinion.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 08:23:49 pm »
 Swamp, here's a link http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,52218.msg707262.html#msg707262
                                                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 08:25:50 pm »
Haha okay id def. Follow that advice, but already roughed out a bow shape after work..... my poor wife came home to a massive pile of shavings. I have my trusty bow for hunting luckly If I fail to produce a substantial short bow.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 08:27:08 pm »
Swamp, here's a link http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,52218.msg707262.html#msg707262

That's beautiful!
                                                                                                                                         Don

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 09:08:32 pm »
The rule of thumb that I started with was the, "length of bow matched my height". After you get some Shootables under your belt, then start playing. You will learn a lot about bow building when you get a good, stable shooter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?