Author Topic: Strings  (Read 16005 times)

Offline Kegan

Strings
« on: March 01, 2008, 06:06:31 pm »
I've been looking for some good string material. What's everyone's preference? Anybody know of a cheap "alternative" to Dacron or such (my bows pulling about 80#)?

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Strings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »
i got a bow that pulls 45# and i used 3 strans of artificial sinew. i braided them together then hung a weight at the bottom. over nigh it stretched so make it shorter than intended by a good inch. id say. now #80 pounds i aint sure how it would do there? maybe 5 strands or something?
Modern Day Tramp

jamie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:01:36 pm »
look online for a fireworks supply dealer. they sell spools of linen that will make excellant string.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:24:18 pm »
I would have never thought of that. Thanks Jamie ;D!

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 06:34:15 pm »
Try the leather working linen twine. Its strong stuff.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:52:01 pm »
 Spyder wire fishing line is about the same as FastFlight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 07:36:35 pm »
Spyder wire fishing line is about the same as FastFlight.

What pound test do you recommend for 50-60 pound Bows....and how many strands???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 08:25:26 pm »
 yankee, I don't know. A friend uses it and I never asked him what weight.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 10:09:30 pm »
Yankee, I don't know. A friend uses it and I never asked him what weight.

I have always used B50.....or Linen ....but I would like to try some Spiderwire....I have heard that it doesn't stretch like the B50 does......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 10:37:29 pm »
would spider wire saw through your tips?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

DCM

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 10:54:08 pm »
Spiderwire is very abrasive.  If you use it for a string, make an endless string so you can serve the loops.  FF is cheaper, easier to work with, waxed, not braided, better in every regard.  I do use Spiderwire for serving for years though, and have been very impressed with it.  14 strand FF and 2 wraps of 40# Spiderwire fits Bohning index nocks.  I look for it in the Fall/Winter at Walmart, usually can pick up a $20 spool discounted to $5.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 11:00:36 pm »
 DCM, I thought they quit making FF ? My friend traded me all his B-50 for the roll of Fastflight I had.
Lakeland, Florida

DCM

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 10:45:36 am »
Mullet the last I bought was labeled FF Plus, same price as old FF.  Kinda like "new, improved" Tide washing poiwders I reckon.  As an aside, you'd think as improved as them washin' powders have been, you'd only have to wave the box over yer laundry these days.  LOL  This was last summer at MoJam (The Nocking Pont).  Don't honestly know if they quit making it.  $22 for 9000' is a good deal, best in the game in my view, if you make as many strings as selfbowyers are liable to.  I like linen for staying natural, but it's just not as durable and is more expensive by a good measure.  When you get into the designer synthetics you can pay 2 to 3 times the price.  Appropriate maybe for target archers, big budget glass bows, but just doesn't seem like it's worth it for an inherently inefficient wooden bow.

I hate to say it but while B50 is cheap, it ain't hardly fit even for even tillering strings in my view.  I ain't trying to pick a fight, but what did you dislike about FF, and prefer about B50?

jamie

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 11:06:22 am »
david i hate fast flight. always have. mainly a noise thing. in my opinion fast flight is loud and for the extra little bit of speed it delivers id prefer the quieter b50. ive always stayed away from it mainly because of its ability to tear a nock up but then i found how loud it was. natural materials first  then b50. linen is even quiter than the b50. but like ya said its just not as durable. always have to have a back up string on hand

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 11:10:48 am »
"I hate to say it but while B50 is cheap, it ain't hardly fit even for even tillering strings in my view.  I ain't trying to pick a fight, but what did you dislike about FF, and prefer about B50?"
Morning, DCM. I like it when a man speaks his mind. :)
I use B-50 largely out of fear.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!