Author Topic: Oh, NO!!  (Read 6055 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Oh, NO!!
« on: August 16, 2016, 09:18:36 pm »
Got a shocker today! Local HD no longer carries hard maple.
What will I do??!!
 :o
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Oh, NO!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 09:32:58 pm »
Quit your whining!   ;D  Our local HD and lowes only carry Poplar and Red Oak  I've never even seen a maple board.

I guess you will have to start harvesting some staves.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:47:39 pm »
Save up for a chainsaw, some good wedges and a good sledge hammer.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 09:55:17 pm »
Or loosen up some of that good stuff you have for trade...:) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 10:18:23 pm »
I bet Dave has some staves unguarded at his place Mike. Isn't he off on an elk hunt soon, you can raid his stash while he is gone. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:30:44 pm »
Menards still carries maple and hickory... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 12:19:56 am »
 ;D      :laugh:
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 10:08:48 am »
Yep, Poplar and Red Oak here as well. We don't have a Menards. The one place that does have maple or Hickory closes before I get off work.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 10:14:50 am »
How can a primitive bowyer be reliant on big box stores? Come on Mike, get them staves split up! 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 01:34:56 pm »
How can a primitive bowyer be reliant on big box stores?

Reliant? No.
Lazy? Yes.
 O:)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 01:51:55 pm »
Hahahahahaha! I'm just poking you my friend. Its what I do best!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 08:13:33 pm »
Greg, I've got my grandma guarding my house when I leave in four weeks, or is that five weeks, maybe three >:D

Anyway my stuff is all staves and Mike doesn't like the good stuff.

No more maple bows huh Mike. Carol will enjoy not having as many broken bow shards in the garage.  ;D
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 08:31:34 pm »
It's great to have so much support from one's "friends" when life throws ya a big roundhouse curve.

;)      :laugh:       ;)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 09:43:18 pm »
I'm guessing you can whoop Dave's grandma Mike and get to his staves. ;D ;D Wouldn't be a nice thing to do but surely you could take her couldn't you?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 10:26:37 pm »
Greg, I've not had the privilege of meeting Dave's grandma. But having met Dave's dad and knowing Dave, I'm guessing she's no pushover!
Also, I expect Dave's best wood is stored in the "secret" room of his new place. Under lock/key and guarded by 2 big dachshounds!

Actually, have been blessed with some primo staves that a bunch of you yahooo's have been so kind to give me. So will soon get over the HD disappoinyment. Hehehehehe