Author Topic: Aoudad recipes (go easy on the jokes)  (Read 12875 times)

Offline Newindian

Aoudad recipes (go easy on the jokes)
« on: August 17, 2016, 02:15:04 pm »
A freind of mine had one wander into his ranch a while ago, so I've ended up with quite a bit of meat. Problem is my parents won't touch it and I'm about to go to collage so I'm inviting a couple buddies to help me kill it off, got any suggestions?
I like free stuff.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Aoudad recipes (go easy on the jokes)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 02:36:45 pm »
I'm not a goat meat fan and I think they are part of that family? Do you know if they and their meat stink like goats do? Id go with jerky or sausage if such is the case.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 02:45:32 pm »
Ya, Pearl they have that funk... Never ate Aoudad, but what I've done with old corsicun or moufloun rams is either mix 50/50 with ground pork for sausages, or soak and brine for a couple days. Then throw in a crock pot with fajita spices and simmer till it falls apart... Makes good taco's, burritos, whatever. Got that recipe from way south Texas when I thought there was NO way I'd eat a javilina... They proved me wrong...

Offline Mounter

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 02:54:36 pm »
One other thought... If I was in a hurry, I would boil with whatever your favorite spices until tender. Drain off water and fat, then grill.... IDK? I bet if you google recipes, there will be some. Good Luck!

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 03:15:35 pm »
I'm not a goat meat fan and I think they are part of that family? Do you know if they and their meat stink like goats do? Id go with jerky or sausage if such is the case.
They stink on the outside but are fine on the inside. We've already tried some of the blackstrap, and that was as good if not slightly better than our Vinson ( it probably helps that this animal had a lot of fat). And they are goat-antelope which (according to Wikipedia) includeds  "The domestic sheep and domestic goat are both part of the goat-antelope group by its widest definition, but some taxonomists[who?] prefer to use the term only for members of the Caprinae that are not members of the tribe Caprini", in other words ibex are probably a better comparison.
I like free stuff.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 07:17:35 pm »
Take a shoulder roast, a dozen cloves of garlic (crished), half dozen tablespoons of oregano, six dried guajillo peppers, two each oranges/limes/lemons sliced in quarters and put it in a pot that just barely holds all of it.  Add water with some salt and pepper until it reaches about halfway up the roast.  Then let it sit covered in a 200 degree oven for 6 hours. 

Let it cool and remove the roast from the pot, discard everything else.  Shred the meat.  Heat a cast iron skillet and toss handfuls of meat in with a little oil to crisp up the edges a little bit and serve in corn or flour tortillas with green peppers, onion, cilantro, sour cream, and guacamole. 

Aoudad carnitas.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 07:46:12 pm »
Gawd Almighty that sounds good!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 07:56:26 pm »
Hold the Calif hippy jokes but I love goat !!! Dig a hole about 3-4 ft deep and around 4×5 ft width and lengthbuild a big a$$ fire and let it burn down to coals. While this is burning down quarter up the meat and season salt pepper and maybe some chilli for a little heat, put the meat in paper bags and wrap in wet burlap wired shut and make some loops. Throw it in the pit cover the top with mteal roofing or plywood and cover with dirt make sure it seals air tight. 5-6 hrs later dig it up pull it out and the meat falls off the bone. Plenty of time for adult beverages
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:05:58 pm »
Gawd Almighty that sounds good!

That's why I feed it to the boys at turkey camp.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 09:08:00 pm »
Hey, we cook it that way here in Tejas too. Some kinda good!  Cabrito.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 09:17:29 pm »
Hey, we cook it that way here in Tejas too. Some kinda good!  Cabrito.

Aye, cabrito!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 09:24:23 pm »
Take a shoulder roast, a dozen cloves of garlic (crished), half dozen tablespoons of oregano, six dried guajillo peppers, two each oranges/limes/lemons sliced in quarters and put it in a pot that just barely holds all of it.  Add water with some salt and pepper until it reaches about halfway up the roast.  Then let it sit covered in a 200 degree oven for 6 hours. 

Let it cool and remove the roast from the pot, discard everything else.  Shred the meat.  Heat a cast iron skillet and toss handfuls of meat in with a little oil to crisp up the edges a little bit and serve in corn or flour tortillas with green peppers, onion, cilantro, sour cream, and guacamole. 

Aoudad carnitas.

Sounds like South of the Border, Mojo Criolla.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mounter

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 11:09:32 pm »
I vote for JW's recipe........ If 'n he'll make it. :) :) :)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 07:44:41 am »
I vote for JW's recipe too, because I was in turkey camp and ate as much as I could possibly stuff in my face. It was damn good!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 10:35:04 am »
This reminds me of the story my dad tells about living down the road from a small goat farm. Unbeknownst to him at first, the way they skinned the goats was by taping up the orifices, slitting a hole in the leg and inflate them with an air compressor. So the first harvest season he's coming home from work and sees 6-8 goat balloons hanging in the tree, lol.