Author Topic: Sinew removal  (Read 883 times)

Offline sleek

Sinew removal
« on: August 23, 2016, 01:36:57 pm »
Can sinew be removed from a bow, then the bow built into a more reflex, heat treat the belly, then reapply the sinew as a single sheet? If so, is it best to soak the sinew before reapplying or just glue it on like a stiff sheet for backing?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Sinew removal
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:15:24 pm »
sleek, I have taken the sinew off,, then re applied a new sinew backing, with positive results,,
I have not tried putting back on the old sinew backing,, I think that would be more difficult than making a new one,,
but since I have not tried it,, could be wrong bout that,
I think soaking it off would be your best bet,, as far as putting it back on,, if you put it on stiff might not work too well,,,, maybe just get it a bit damp so it would conform to the shape of the bow,, I am guessing now so take that with a grain of salt,,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 03:15:19 pm »
I've seen James Parker glue his sinew down to bow dimensions on smooth Formica then skim it up when it jelled and glue to the back of a bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 03:17:47 pm »
I remover sinew from a yew paddle bow that broke. I soaked the bow in warm water until I could peel the sinew off. Them I separated the sinew and re-applied it to another bow.
 If you are going to go to all that trouble I think I's start a new bow and add sinew to it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC