Author Topic: turkey bow weight?  (Read 6023 times)

Offline huntertrapper

turkey bow weight?
« on: March 02, 2008, 04:31:45 pm »
i got a bow in the 30 to 40 pound range. enough for turkey? also, is a somewhat dull blade or flint head better so the arrows stays in the turkey? thanks guys, and yeah i gots lots of ?'s ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Kegan

Re: turkey bow weight?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 04:41:33 pm »
Check local game laws. In PA, 35# is minimum. No matter what you shoot, a sharp head is always best (unless it's a blunt), nad a flint head would be quite sharp. It would also tear the daylights out of the inside of a bird ;D.

Perhaps some of the big turkey hunters, like Saw Filer, will chime in.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:42:45 pm »
yeah true forgot about game law. im PA arent you kegan. i thinks it 35. i better test my weight again. ill use 35 for turkey but not deer.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:51:26 pm »
I would use the same bow for everything...hunting and 3D and target shooting. I have never hunted turkeys but I would say to use a sharp head for more damage. You may consider a wider blade or a 3 blade point. Stone would be devastating on a turkey. There are only a few shot placements on a turkey...one through both drum sticks( a turkey needs to run to fly), a head shot( dead or uninjured) or the Texas bulls eye( up the old wazoo). A real turkey hunter may disagree with my assessment and if so, I'd listen to them. ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 05:55:48 pm »
personally i like a bow between 40-50 lbs for turkey, i dont like thru shots on them.
i like my arrow to stay inside to help tear them up since they have a small vital area. ideally a spine shot to drop them right away,but they don't always give you that opportunity. or you can just go for head shots and that way you don't have to worry about losing a wounded bird with a arrow stuck in him,that way its either clean miss or clean kill(my preference). what ever you chose for bow weight and shot placement. good luck they are not as easy as a lot of people think,especially on public land where the pressure gets high.
 oh yeah i also think that the only way to hunt buzzards is with a bow,i don't like the taste of lead in my buzzard meat. ;)

PEACE,
                                                                                             Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:59:36 pm »
  I would personally go for the hip shot. But after shooting the one this year with a stone point through the neck I guess a well placed shot will drop one. The arrow I hit it with didn't even slow down enough to tell if I hit it. The bird took less than 3 minutes to bleed out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:33:13 pm »
okay thanks guys. i always figured a arrow in it would help slow it down.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 09:38:32 pm »
Like Mullet said. I shoot fer base of neck with a stone point......bob

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 10:31:08 pm »
thats what i plan on aiming for unless i get the behind shot. if i miss the bird, i miss, if i hit it dead bird. works either way for me.  would be happy just seein one come in or "shooting at" one.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 10:57:16 pm »
  Not always a dead bird. A good buddy shot one 4 times and still lost it. And he shot it with big broadheads.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 09:33:48 pm »
i mean if i hit it through the neck or head. dead bird. correct? :) ???
Modern Day Tramp