Author Topic: Applying horn after sinew? now with pics  (Read 4624 times)

Offline DuBois

Applying horn after sinew? now with pics
« on: August 29, 2016, 04:05:59 pm »
I have a bow in progress that I had not originally planned as a horn bow but it just might get horn after all.
1" wide lilac branch that it is now heavily sinewed and curing. 34" working limb and natural siyahs that are 9" but could be reduced some for sure.

Have any of you ever put the horn on after the sinew?

If it has gained reflex from sinew and the horn is applied with the reflex, wouldn't that be good?

Not sure if I will do it and looking for more experienced thoughts on the matter.

Pic before sinew and after with wax paper to slow drying after wrapping with innertube and heating in car.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 09:45:17 pm by DuBois »

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Applying horn after sinew?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 04:24:02 pm »
I have never made a horn bow but currently reading Adam Karpos book and he speaks to the horn should be under tention & the sinew under compretion at the time of application something about pushing the opposing forces in to the core when there under stress smarter heads could exsplane that better also I know the guys making the type of horn bow that your talking about usually tiller them to half there desired draw weight before horn & sinew ,I know you asked for exsperienced comments but figured I would chim in since I'm very interested in that type bow plan to make one in the near future. I will be following this one with interest.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DuBois

Re: Applying horn after sinew? now with pics
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 12:45:28 pm »
Well, never mind.

On second thought I think this is a fine opportunity to see what lilac and sinew in this profile can do all by themselves. This should make an awesome bow without horn really and give me a chance to try this profile before moving on to horn at some point.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:57:29 pm »
I think that will be a sweet bow if you can get it going realy like the profile post it once you get it running  good luck
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 02:27:40 am »
I would have burnt the belly almost black with heat first. But I know you didnt plan this so... im looking forward to see how it handles!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 10:39:39 am »
You will find out how well lilac is in compression.It does'nt look like a whole lot of reflex applied yet.That might be safe enough.I've never worked with lilac so I really can't comment much about the woods quality.Good practice like you said.
Normally on horn bows the horn is applied first.I've been asked that question before.By master self bow makers too.All I can say it's the way the old timers did it and take for granted they are right.Taking a flat side view wood core and applying somewhat reflexed horn to the belly.So the horn is applied on into a reflex.Then reflexing it more with sinew being applied.The sinew reverse braced actually gets applied into compression.It's confusing but after a few successful bows you begin to understand their reasoning.The composites need to be put into a profile that uses their outstanding qualities which is far better than wood the best.To get the best out of them so to speak the way I see it.Applying horn and sinew in this way pushes the horn and sinew into the wood core while being drawn the way I understand it.Creating a sheer pressure affect length wise reducing fear of delamination outward.
Someone else might be able to clean up my explanation for your question better but that's the way I understand it.
Stability would be my concern on your bow being as narrow as it is,but I think it's possible.It'll be fun to watch anyway and hope it works for ya.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed