Author Topic: Christmas Trade Pics.  (Read 89482 times)

Offline Balsatech

Re: Christmas Trade Pics.
« Reply #480 on: January 22, 2017, 01:33:16 pm »
I got my package yesterday from Dakota kid. Mike, thank you for the gifts. I could not be more pleased.I am going to have my daughter sit down with me this evening  and figure out this posting pictures thing. It's high time for me to join in this community full time. I got a wide variety of gifts that included a hand made and painted fly box full of hand tied flies, some kidnapped arrowheads, goose feathers, mussel shells and some other fishing lures and articles to top it all off. Thanks again Mike.  Joe.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #481 on: January 22, 2017, 05:02:20 pm »
Wow that's a nice knife and the sheeth looks great too!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #482 on: January 23, 2017, 03:28:14 am »
Balsatech, I'm glad you were pleased with your gift. I was right though you certainly do make a better lure than I do. Those look fantastic. Do you airbrush yours? I was toying with the idea of sending you one of my older pasche airbrushes I no longer use, but was worried you already had your own.

That offer to take you out smallie fishing on lake erie is good for as long as I still live up here. I don't own a boat, but in the spring you don't really need one as long as you have a good pair of waders. We have quite a bit of out of towners crowding the bay during that time of year. I hear we have some of the best bass fishing around. I take it for granted having grown up here I guess.  If you've never caught a big pig small mouth on a fly rod, I highly recommend it.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #483 on: January 23, 2017, 03:04:59 pm »
Finally had a day off to mail mine should be there in 10 days

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #484 on: January 24, 2017, 09:37:55 am »
Tracking says the package is in San Francisco, but should reach its new home today. Cheers- Brendan

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #485 on: January 25, 2017, 06:46:51 pm »
my wife says there is a big package from Canada waiting for me--and I have a meeting at 4:30, so I can't leave work early.  This is going to be rough. . .

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #486 on: January 25, 2017, 10:19:31 pm »
We're all waiting with you
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #487 on: January 25, 2017, 11:17:10 pm »
Wow!  that was worth the wait.  My wife said it was a long package, but it was a loooonngg package. The address said Pender Island, BC,  so I am assuming the gift is from Penderbender. When I opened it I found over 6 feet of yew waiting for me. Beautiful straight, nearly knotless yew.  That would have been more than enough by any standard, but in the package was also two nice pieces of horn for knocks, and a wide variety of shoots for arrows --including over a dozen ocean spray, some dogwood, wild rose, pacific ninebark, and some serviceberry.  I have never mentioned how I like experimenting with different arrow materials, but I really enjoy making arrows, so this gives me some new types to play with.

But I guess that wasn't enough.  There is also a 55" stave of either ocean spray or ironwood or vine maple (I am not familiar with any of these, so I am just guessing) and a block of red colored wood for tips or handle work.

This is a kingly gift and I feel like I have won the lottery.  Thank you so much.  When Brendan mentioned earlier what he planned to send out, I secretly (and not so secretly, maybe) hoped it would come my way.  I got to work on a piece of yew this summer that passed through my hands on the bow trade, and I have been wanting to work another piece of yew ever since.  This will ease the pain of letting that piece go.  Now I have to research ELB designs or something Pacific Northwest-y  style like Wizardgoat's designs.  Whatever I end up with, I need to make the most of the length.

Thanks again. This was well worth the wait.

Offline bubby

« Reply #488 on: January 25, 2017, 11:46:46 pm »
That looks like ocean spray in the pics, great package you got there
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #489 on: January 26, 2017, 01:27:46 am »
Yep it's ocean spray! I'm glad you like it all. There is a card explaining some stuff in zip lock bag under the purple tape. Some of the shoots aren't the best but I figured you could use some for foreshafts. I'm just glad it got there ok. Haha I was a bit worried as wizardgoat advised taking the bark off, but I didn't. Didn't wanna risk ruining the backs. I usually just let it pop off, when it wants to. Cheers- Brendan

Offline uwe

« Reply #490 on: January 26, 2017, 06:09:58 am »
The customs have sent a letter to pick up a little envelope next time. I`ve caught a bad cold and now I`m recovered so far to start for them this afternoon.
Regards
Uwe

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #491 on: January 26, 2017, 06:17:53 am »
Really nice package Jeff, that should keep you busy for awhile.
I checked tracking last night and my package should have arrived
Bjrogg

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #492 on: January 26, 2017, 07:48:13 am »
Sweet

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #493 on: January 26, 2017, 07:51:42 am »
Oops sorry that was supposed to go on supply trade. Still nice present Jeff
Bjrogg

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #494 on: January 26, 2017, 08:38:47 am »
Jeff, that is a very nice  unch of materials you have there.  I am sure you will make a beautiful bow out of that yew, although I am not sure how you will top the one you made in the bow trade last year. 

Mike