Author Topic: 60" Osage Sinew backed Recurve in progress  (Read 37297 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: 60" Osage Sinew backed Recurve in progress
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2017, 05:40:12 pm »
osage is probably right, it may go up 5 or more,,
no need to get discouraged, you did a great job on the tiller ,, so putting another layer of sinew will be easy,, and you will get the weight you want,, and you could fine tune the tiller a bit by putting a bit more on the bottom limb to get your positive tiller,,
I think you can easy get another 10#'s,, and as stated , probably shooting like a much heavier bow as it is,,

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2017, 05:55:36 pm »
Thanks guys,
I've done a few other sinew backed bows and they didn't seam to pick up any more weight after about 4-5 weeks at low humidity.  But I have not put this much sinew on the back before.

I've got a little more sinew and may add another layer or so...What do you other guys think? 
I personally think I took too much wood off and won't get much weight back.  Might just start another and give this one away to a kid or  a pretty girl.  But they will have a hard time bracing it.

Thanks again
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2017, 06:00:16 pm »
sinew is amazing stuff,, for example, I have take the whole back off a sinew bow that had some issues,, then I put more sinew on than i did the first time,, the bow was heavier in draw weight,,

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2017, 06:21:01 pm »
Ya I know Brad, sinew is amazing stuff, But my experience living in Kentucky with high RH most of the year is the bows loose weight after being outdoors for 6-8 hours.  There's been times when I shot a sinew back recurve at a 3D shoot in the afternoon with a lighter arrow (spine) than I did that morning to get good arrow flight.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2017, 06:23:42 pm »
I've got some sinew for another layer if you need it Bill
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2017, 07:02:47 pm »
ok I see your point, I never experienced a drastic change in weight in such a short time frame,,
I made alot of bows in East Texas the humidity was high,,and it took longer to cure,,but once the bow settled in,, it stayed at that weight,, even hunting in the rain,, ok hunting I was not shooting alot of arrows( like 3d,), and that may be why I never noticed any weight change,, never had to change spine of arrow,,or anthing like that,, did notice the weight would creep up over a few weeks or months due to slow cureing time,, my main hunting bow  was a sinew backed osage  recurve,,it was really stable, i used it alot even in 90% humity,,,, it might be possibe that the thinner layer of sinew would be more sesative to humity,, than a thicker layer,, or might respond quicker in loosing weight,, not sure bout that one,, I started making sinew bows 20 plus years ago and have made quite a few mistakes along the way for sure,, I dont disagree with you at all ,just have had a different experience and feel you are a few layers of sinew from a Masterpiece,, but I am a little too postive sometimes,, :) hope the bow works out for you however you proceed,,

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2017, 07:06:30 pm »
I like it! Maybe few extra pounds would be nice but you get a nice lite arrow out of it and I'm sure it's quick as can be

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2017, 07:11:06 pm »
Brad,
You for sure have more sinewing experience than I do....If I add more sinew would you add reflex?

Thanks Paul,  I don't know what I'm going to do, just wished the hell I'd hit weight in the first place....:)
DBar

Offline JonW

« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2017, 07:16:12 pm »
Bill there is nothing wrong with a fast 40#er. I suggest if you try another bow to go a little narrower and thicker limb.

Offline bubby

« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2017, 07:21:29 pm »
Before you give it away maybe see how far it penetrates a steel drum😲
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2017, 08:45:31 pm »
Looks great Bill.  40 lbs will kill anything in the woods.  I bet it has great cast with the reflex that it kept.  I am curious what another course of sinew would do for the weight.  You make a mean looking recurve!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2017, 09:55:19 pm »
No matter what you end up doing... The bow looks awesome, you probably learned a lot, and 40# ain't bad. For me, anything above 40 is a success.  8)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2017, 10:31:56 pm »
Bill sounds like your a little disappointed on the weight. But everybody needs a good 3-D bow and that one there would make you a awesome all day shooter!!!

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2017, 07:36:00 am »
Dang Dbar! that stik sure is purty. I agree with the others, you could win 3-d shoots every week with that beauty.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PatM

« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2017, 09:09:37 am »
Looks like you could just draw it a few more inches. I would ease it back a bit more in increments and monitor the set and performance.