Author Topic: If this was your stave ?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Stick Bender

If this was your stave ?
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:22:54 pm »
Hi Fellas this is one of the osage staves I brought in for winter work thought it would be helpful & interesting to get some design input from the thread this stave is 70 in. Long 1 5/8 in wide & about 1 1/4 thick medium rings it has some character but over all it's clean  so what I'm looking to do is make a hunting/target self bow I would really like to stay 67 in long or under going to pull 48 lb. @29  I would like to get 170 fps with 500 grain Arrow and FF string so my question is if this was your stave & had those goals what Design would you go with ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: If this was your stave ?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 06:58:15 pm »
Stave like that, sky's the limit so far as I'm concerned.  66-67 inches ntn flat bow.  1.25" at the fades.  Semi pyramid, with reflexed tips.  4-5 inch handle, 2 inch fades.  That's my thoughts.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 08:52:07 pm »
I got a design that never fails me. I always get good speed out of it, 170s is about average. But thats with 10 gpp, you are asking to shoot a heavier arrow, which is fine.

Mine, I go with a 62 inch bow, and at 45# you will be fine even though its going to 29".  I use my fist width to mark the handle and then two fingers width ( index and middle ) on either side to mark the end of the fades. Then make a fist with your thumb out as if givin a thumbs up. Go from tje end of each fade and mark a line. Thats the point you keep your limbs full width, then start your taper to your tips.

Do the same thing at your tips, measuring a thumb fist down from the tips. That part you leave stiff and reflex it. You want it to start its reflex at the line where you drew from your fist thumb. Recurve enough that the string barely touches when braced. Typically I dont recurve until after I have it braced btw.

To tiller this bow, you want the tips to open up just a touch at full draw. Maybe your last 2 or 3 inches to be tip movement. When you are only 3-5 pounds away from your final draw weight, take it off the tips. It is ok to have your inner limbs bending a touch more than normal, thats why they are so wide, to prevent set there. Use the inner limb, make it bend right out of the fade. That helps with the bow being so short at 62 inches.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 10:12:15 pm »
64" for me, flip the tips and with fast flight, squeaking out 29", maybe 170. Why worry about the speed?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline scp

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 10:56:13 pm »
All very nice, reasonable and plausible designs. How about a pure pyramid with same thickness for the whole length of working limbs? Anybody with such a bow that can shoot 170 FPS?

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 11:53:11 pm »
 A pyramid has straight lines. ;)