Author Topic: From the stand  (Read 49821 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: From the stand
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2016, 10:41:17 am »
I hope it comes back and gives  you a shot at it Aaron. 

Pappy, do you trim shooting lanes from  your stands?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2016, 11:16:14 am »
I do some but try and leave as much cover as I can around the stand and under it. Sometimes it cost me a close shot but most times if you have patients it works out ok for the shot and I rarely get spotted in the stand unless I do something really stupid. ;)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2016, 06:44:06 am »
Headed to the stand in a few minutes, hope to have some good pictures, Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2016, 07:31:04 am »
Same here Pappy.  Good luck

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2016, 07:36:29 am »
I'm in beet digger tractor good luck guys beautiful morning it's gonna be here calm clear and crispy should start that rut. Can see every star in the sky
 Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2016, 01:48:06 pm »
I do some but try and leave as much cover as I can around the stand and under it. Sometimes it cost me a close shot but most times if you have patients it works out ok for the shot and I rarely get spotted in the stand unless I do something really stupid. ;)
  Pappy

Same here pappy. When a person carries a bow that requires them to draw and shoot simultaneously they have to have cover around the stand most often. We cant draw and hold while we wait for a good shot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2016, 04:55:17 pm »
When I got to my stand this morning I noticed a big scrape on the trail 10 yards away. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2016, 05:23:33 pm »
That should be a good sign.
 Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2016, 04:16:23 am »
Great morning yesterday, no deer killed but beautiful morning and seen deer. Nothing was moving until after 9 am then they came out of the wood work. Got in the stand at 6am and came down about noon. Was planning on staying all day but had a buddy needed help tracking on so I had to come out. Wished I would go on and retire so I could do that all the time. A couple of pictures, 1 of a button under the stand and the other is a small buck working on some overhanging beech limb  and doing some rubbing, he thought he was bad to the bone you could tell. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2016, 07:21:38 am »
You have a lot more green leaf cover than we do Pappy.  Our leaves are dying and dropping fast.  Yesterday morning I didn't see much but last night I saw a lot of activity.  A small buck chased a doe right behind my stand.  Several other small bucks and does were running around the hillside.  I watched 2 different flocks of turkeys.  One was a group of jakes.  They walked up the hill behind me and then flew down to get on roost.  This morning should be good.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2016, 07:31:07 am »
Not too bad here for deer yesterday either.Had the regular parade of does and yearlings going by just out of bow range but did see a couple of bucks too.Seeing more scrapes now too.
I try everything in the book to get a shot here.Good understory around my stands.My profile blended into a leafy background.Stand in the shadows.My shots coming from deer coming up from behind me along trails.It's just a matter of time.
We're finally getting rain here but I won't hunt then.Not in the stand anyway.
Still hav'nt burned one load of wood in the house yet here and it's almost november already.Pretty unusual.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2016, 12:47:22 pm »
I have been out a few times here in MN with not much action. But it has been nice to be out. Will be head to IL this weekend and the week of 11/12-11/19. Hope to have some luck there. Maybe better than years past.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2016, 04:20:53 am »
Nice buck, did you kill that one this year ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2016, 09:17:41 am »
I got lucky last night! I was invited to hunt with a friend on his place. It was a beautiful night. Cold and calm. I sat with great anticipation, until my wife texted me and said I left my money clip on the kitchen bar. It holds my drivers license and kill tags. I WILL NOT haul an illegal deer. So, luckily I didn't see a dang thing! It is still illegal to hunt in Michigan without a tag in your pocket.

We had a pretty good rain/snow squall come through a few days ago. Its just damp and cool now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rps3

« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2016, 10:41:34 am »