Author Topic: D bow from the ground up  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Swamp Thang

D bow from the ground up
« on: October 02, 2016, 08:46:38 pm »
I would like to invite everyone to join me on this build of a D bow. In an effort to craft something that expresses itself through many people and their experiences.  So come in weigh in with your opinion i would like to use an idea from as many people as possible.....So here we go..

I recently discovered a few hickory trees straight and true. What circumferences and length should I be harvesting looking to build one at least 55#'s

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: D bow from the ground up
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 08:54:10 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this one. 55# is doable at almost any length depending on your draw length. I'd say go as short as possible...just for kicks and grins. ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:44:41 pm »
I like cutting my hickory at around a 8" to 10" log around 6' long,but most all my logs I like cuttiing that way no matter what the type of wood.You should be able to get around 5 staves out of that.
You might have time yet with the sap flowing to just pop the bark right off.Saves some of the work.I don't build many D bows which you might be able to go a little narrower so you might get 6 or more staves from that log.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Thunder

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 12:56:08 am »
I think you mentioned being in South East Texas in a previous post (?). Take a look at some of the other white woods around (American Elm, Dogwood, Crepe Myrtle, Persimmon...etc) 1 1/2" - 3" saplings in particular. They are all capable of producing hunting weight bows. I kinda prefer to use saplings and shooting D bows, but that just me. You can get a lot bow, out of a little tree.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 03:37:27 am »
Why not the tension side of a branch, leaving the crown?

I suggested short static recurves, but that wouldn't be a D bow anymore, and probably not that primitive?..

would it be easier or harder to do higher draw weight w/o bow exploding with a sapling? The bow would have to be thicker or wider?..
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:28:07 am by loon »

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:48:31 am »
I want to watch this thread!

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 08:36:35 am »

would it be easier or harder to do higher draw weight w/o bow exploding with a sapling? The bow would have to be thicker or wider?..
[/quote]

Great question. Anybody care to give us your input?

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 08:40:50 am »
Okay since there are so many options I'll be hunting trees and deer tomorrow I'll post possibles and let everyone vote on best stave and go from there.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 06:45:21 pm »

Great question. Anybody care to give us your input?
[/quote]
Not sure if it's easier or harder, but it can be done. I'm not claiming to be an expert but I've made quite a few hunting weight bows out of saplings. If you have tension strong species like the ones I mentioned, you can easily get 50#+ D bows. I make em kinda short, 58" ntn, give or take an inch for a 25" draw. I usually make 11/8" wide parallel limbs and taper the last 5 to 6 inches down to under 1/2" tips. I'm sure a little extra length would make it easier to acheive higher draw weights.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 08:08:33 pm »
So going with a sapling...what diameter?.....5" to 10"?

Offline Thunder

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:57:03 pm »
So going with a sapling...what diameter?.....5" to 10"?
You can use a sapling a small as 1 1/2"-2" in diameter and get a nice bow out of it.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 09:18:00 pm »
You sir just blew my mind.

Offline le0n

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 09:36:46 pm »
^^ hah hah.

amazingly, the saplings are no joke.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 09:50:08 pm »
This is from a very small piece of heat tempered American Elm 1 1/8" wide 46" ntn and 50#@ 22" draw. I could probably get another inch of draw out of it, but I really don't need to. It's a lot of fun to shoot
I'm looking forward to seeing the hunting weight D bow you desire.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 10:33:28 pm »
Ohhhhh niiice perfect size for where I hunt.....we have loads of cedar elm I wonder if it's comparable.