Author Topic: What am i doing wrong  (Read 2229 times)

Offline sleek

What am i doing wrong
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:38:54 am »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

Re: What am i doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:39:20 am »

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 05:39:50 am »

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:40:21 am »

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:41:11 am »

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 05:42:35 am »
It was a curved piece, and i am trying to learn to shoot flakes from the hallow sode to flatten it. I can shoot them over the top just fine, but unerneath doesnt want to.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 06:34:44 am »
Sleek I am at a stage similar to your but slowly seeing the light
for me the trick is to make concave side first.
I try to start with short flakes until some sort of convexity is set and then start to try longer flakes

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 08:45:48 am »
Sleek I don't see anything wrong.  It takes a lot flaking to get a flake pattern across the concave part of a point.  Flakes just don't travel well across convexity.
Northern Ute

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 09:49:28 am »
Flakes don't travel through concavity. They will stop and hinge or dive through and break the point all together. With little points like that you have to address the major things first.

With a curved flake like that I would have tried to flatten the hump out and take the wings off the concave side and get as flat as possible. Then see what's left before styling your point.

All that said, your points are looking better and showing progress. Keep it up Kevin!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 09:53:08 am »
Sleek, you need to keep building convexity to the concave side so flakes can travel further. Don't try and run flakes all the way across on first couple of passes on concave side just run short flakes raise edge and run another set  a little further raise edge again and run another set of flakes until they start coming past center, You have to build convexity so flakes will travel. Hope this helps and ya your going to lose some width :(   ps. Redhand not knit picking but flakes do like to travel across convex side or the hump ;D   Bob

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 10:39:57 am »
Perhaps you want to try skewing your flakes on that concave side?  Get your platform prepped real good then run flakes about 45* so they run more along the those humps then go from there?  Just a thought...keep at it!
1’—>1’

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 11:44:21 am »
I have also found that short flakes are often a result of having my platforms too high.  get them below the centerline before trying to run a flake--once the concavity is not an issue--I was looking more at the convex side.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 12:34:39 pm »
All good advice. In the last photo the flakes ran about half as far as they should. To correct that, pull the edge toward the face we are looking at, then direct the force along the surface more rather than perpendicular to the surface. It works best for me to flatten the concave wide first. It is also better to get that concavity out before you get too far along. Just pick up any broken bottle glass and practice on working the concavity out for a while before trying to complete a point.

WA

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 09:50:54 pm »
Ya I just seen that outbackbob I was meaning to type concavity this technology with its auto correction. Guess I should read before I post. Lol good catch
Northern Ute