Author Topic: Thinking about some new sharpening stones  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Thinking about some new sharpening stones
« on: October 13, 2016, 12:29:38 pm »
I've been thinking about investing. In some new sharpening stones this spring when classes are finished. I've been looking at the water stones from Lee Valley that go from 1000-8000 grit. I'm thinking about getting the 1000, 2000, 4000, and 8000 grit stones. My questions are: is it worth the money to get solid grit stones, or save some mowny and get a combination stones. My second question, for broad heads and field knife is ift worth honing the edge to 8000grit. Or would that grit be a waste of money.

All advise and opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline bubby

Re: Thinking about some new sharpening stones
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 12:52:53 pm »
I know a lot of knife makers use the Japanese waterstones but i don't have any experience with them. I do know you can't get something too sharp😃 do you have a 1×30 beltsander? You can take a wornout belt and turn it inside out and load that side with compound and strop a razors edge on anything
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 05:34:45 pm »
Kyle,

I tried Japanese water stones and didn't really like their durability as compared to my Arkansas whetstones (oil stones).
I have been using a soft Arkansas (600- 800 grit) for general sharpening and finishing with a Hard Arkansas ( 800-1000 grit). I have a aggressive Washita stone (400-600) but usually will just use a bastard file to start or remove chips. 

In my opinion 4000-800 grit can be attained by using a strop with compound or Newspaper strips.

For field use on extended hunts I carry a file and a DMT folder stone that uses water. 

Hope this helps.

Sean

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:34:07 pm »
What kind of compound is right for using on the back of a sanding belt? Would the back of a piece of emery cloth work as well as a sanding belt?

WA

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 07:13:45 pm »
I have some of those stones.. I only use them for special tasks.. On a knife or broad head not worth the money or time.. File for broadheads
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 07:35:39 pm »
You can glue a piece of leather to a board rough side up and fill it with. Compound, some guys use green, some red
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 01:22:33 am »
I use sandpaper on a Popsicle stick. Use about a 300 or higher grit. The paper is aggressive at first, put so much use on such a small area, it quickly loads up and polishes the blade with its own fillings. You get a shaving edge quick.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 08:45:55 pm »
So it sounds like for my purposes, those stones would be a waste of money. I do currently have one good stone that my Grampa gave me years ago when I was 12. And I have no issue getting blades shaving sharp with the fine side, I actually shaved off my beard with a broad head sharpened with the stone. But it's got a wierd super hard mineral growth on the coarse side that makes it a pain to sharpen a blade with much size to it. It's been there since my Grampa gave it to me, I think it's from some cleaning chemical that spilled on it. It might be worth trying to remove that as opposed to replacement. Any ideas on how to remove that spot? That's the biggest reason Im looking at new stones and wasn't sure if the very fine ones were worth getting while I'm at it, cut sounds like they're not.

Kyle

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 09:02:13 pm »
Resurface the stone. My favorite stone also has spots like that. Just grind past it, if you can.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others