Author Topic: The Long Night that knows no dawning...  (Read 4084 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

The Long Night that knows no dawning...
« on: October 15, 2016, 05:40:22 pm »
Icarus passed into the Eternal Night where there comes no dawning.  It is the night we fear, but held no terrors for one such as her.  Her eyes were made for the night.  Her ears revealed all that walked, crept, or slithered through that darkness.  Her wings, both soft and strong, could carry her away or silently bring her to that which thought itself safe in the night. Her talons easily were suited for her needs.

Eyes, ears, wings, and talons, she enforced her authority over the night. So do not weep for her translation from the temporary little nights we so deeply fear.  For she has gone to the Eternal Night, where she reigns. 

So, goodnight my dear Icarus.  I pray you will come for me and comfort me when the time comes for my passage into the Long Night.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bluegill68

Re: The Long Night that knows no dawning...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:48:26 pm »
My sincere condolences John, take solace in the time spent with her.

She flys again on a mended wing.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 08:02:10 pm »
Sorry for your loss.

Truly a magnificent and awe inspiring friend to have had.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 08:06:29 pm »
It's tough.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 08:09:44 pm »
Beautiful bird.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 10:08:25 pm »
Beautiful bird.

My thoughts exactly. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 10:11:43 pm »
Man I have no words,,,,,,,,,I do know that bond,,,,,,,,sorry. Jeff W

Offline GB

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 03:05:19 am »
That is a wonderful eulogy for a magnificent bird, JW.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 05:10:37 am »
Sorry for Your loss JW. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 06:08:56 am »
Sorry for your loss JW_, what a friend to of been blessed with.

Darran.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 01:18:47 pm »
Sorry for your loss and the lose to the raptor center and friends. She was a noble creature.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 02:49:19 pm »
This comes down extra hard on me because of what has already happened this week. 

Losing AliciaArchery in a senseless head-on crash caused by a texting driver started the ball rolling.  Then on Wednesday, the young lady I had been dating last winter and this spring hit a deer with her Harley while out on a Memorial Ride.  She was killed instantly.  The morning after an impromptu wake with a huge crowd of Ashley's friends, I find Icarus gone. 

When it rains, it pours, they always say.

Thank God I have a lot of hard road miles on me.  I have "seen the elephant" before.  I understand that my thoughts will be dark and wracked with guilt.  I know that waves of grief will threaten to pull me under with no warning.  Like I said, been there, done that, wore out the reunion tshirt. I know I will not get over any of these losses, and I don't want to.  I won't even fight it, I will ride it.  Then I will eventually find a measure of familiarity and comfort with that grief. It becomes woven into the fabric of the tapestry that is my life.  There is nothing wrong with grieving, there is nothing wrong with that hurt.  It simply measures how much and how well you have loved and cared. 

Last night I got a call from the man that Ashley has been dating for the last few months.  Tom put a glow in her face and sparks in her eyes like no one had ever before! I knew this was the real deal for the both of them and it made me very happy to watch their relationship grow in leaps and bounds.  You see, I was in Tom's shoes 27 years ago.  Essentially the same damned situation. And I didn't deal with it, cope with it, handle it, or nothing. Twenty years of trying to tamp it down poisoned my career(s), my marriage, and my life.  Seven years of working it out with intermittent professional help just in time to be there for Tom. So I guess that is "why" enough for me.  All that, just so I can keep him from making my mistakes all over again, maybe.  And it's enough.

Somewhere along the way, I lost my desire to find my own redemption.  I would rather help others find it for themselves. I guess, that will have to serve as mine.  Gonna stop here, both because of the policy on religion and my own deep seated lack of faith in faith. I said far, far more than I ever meant to on the subject anyway.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 05:00:03 pm »
Fine words JW. Spoken from the heart and experience. Prayers for those lost and for you friend.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 10:16:11 am »
Rely on the good memories JW, keep them alive and warm in your heart and they will never fail you in a time of need.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 10:27:36 am »
Nothing gold can stay, JW.  My thoughts go out to you.  It does seem every so often life sends these types of waves at us in a set.  I try to remember what my dad had taught me swimming in the ocean.  Don't fight them, swim down deep underneath them and you'll come up fine on the other side. 
1’—>1’