Author Topic: To be or KNOT to be (Buckthorn Longbow)  (Read 7811 times)

Offline StumblyRhino

To be or KNOT to be (Buckthorn Longbow)
« on: October 15, 2016, 06:04:48 pm »
I'm making the simple yew longbow in BB I, using buckthorn.  I've got a knot right on the edge of my bow, even after having moved my layout around as much as I could on the stave.

It's about 5 inches down from the end of the fade.  The void goes about halfway through and across the belly, diagonally.  Do I include the whole thing and have a big goiter hanging off one side, or cut it mostly out and leave some bulk on the belly and opposite edge to compensate?  I'm not opposed to a little character, this is just my first time dealing with this situation.

Or maybe I should've moved the layout the other way to better include it?  Please don't tell me that now. :)  Thanks for any guidance, in advance.  On Wisconsin!  Beat OSU!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:21:21 pm by StumblyRhino »
Go Badgers!

Offline FilipT

Re: To be or KNOT to be (Buckthorn Longbow)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 06:15:04 pm »
That is ugliest knot ever. I would personally try to cut through it if I had another stave at disposal but this is huge risk, it might brake at that spot.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 06:32:20 pm »
Honestly that doesn't look like a big deal. Just follow the grain around the knot, fill it if need be. And just pay attention to that area during tillering. Buckthorn can handle a lot of flaws.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:10:35 pm »
I would try to put in smack in the middle of the bow limb and leave it wide enough to compensate-OOPSA just read the whole post, sorry!

I agree with Bryce  ;D

Online Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 08:18:48 pm »
I vote, run with it.  Leave it a bit longer than usual to reduce a bit of stress on the knot. And remember, super glue is your friend. The thinner the better so it can soak in well. It might not do much or be necessary, but it'll add a bit of assurance, and it can't hurt much either.

Kyle

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 08:19:35 pm »
Do as Bryce said, I've gotten away with knots that bad or worse on several buckthorn bows. Your more likely to break buckthorn on either end of the knot in a clean area of the limb if you get a spot too thin there. Like Bryce said pay attention to your tiller, don't expect the limb to bend at the knot but be careful not to get any one area at either side of the knot bending to much.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 09:51:28 pm »
That is ugliest knot ever. I would personally try to cut through it if I had another stave at disposal but this is huge risk, it might brake at that spot.

Cut through the knot?   ???
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 11:02:28 pm »
Thanks, guys. I'll give 'er a shot tomorrow, and post what I come up with.
Go Badgers!

Offline FilipT

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 06:30:55 am »

Cut through the knot?   ???

In this case I would have cut through it or try to remove as much of it as I can while going with grain, just because its really ugly to me. Generally I love knots, but this one is no no for me. I would have rather use different stave.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 09:09:48 am »
Im with Greg. I have a Buckthorn bow that has a 3/8" round stick still protruding from the knot. Knots are knots. Some let you know soon they wont stand for it and others last for 1000's of shots.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 09:18:46 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 02:21:47 pm »
Cool Pearly.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 07:24:14 pm »
Here's a couple more examples of what can be pulled off with knotty buckthorn Rhino. Knots on buckthorn are rarely if ever the breaking point on buckthorn bows in my experience. Even small pin knots that shoot out on the edge of a limb have never caused any issue for me with this wood. If a knot is suspect I do add some super glue on the knot at the bows back as insurance though.
Keep us posted on how yours goes.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 12:54:49 pm »
Very cool too Badly Bent.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline StumblyRhino

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 04:05:29 pm »
Great pics. Thanks for the inspiration!
Go Badgers!

Offline StumblyRhino

Re: To be or KNOT to be (Buckthorn Longbow) More Questions
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 11:26:24 am »
Alright, finally making some progress on this one.  I followed the consensus and left that big ugly knot on the edge, though I'm not sure if I should take a little more off around it.  It's also loose in there.  Trying to decide if I should drill it out or soak it with CA glue.

And I cobbled together a PVC steam box from my junk... treasure piles last night.  The bow spent an hour in there, and got clamped pretty straight overnight.  I went a little past to account for it sneaking back, but I should've gone a touch more.  I'll hit it again.

My question now is, how long do I let it dry before I start tillering after being in the steam? I don't own a moisture meter.  I brought it in the house where things are a little drier at the moment.  I'm asking more questions than I am contributing useful content, at this point, but I do appreciate the help!
Go Badgers!