Author Topic: Powder horns  (Read 5939 times)

Offline DC

Powder horns
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:12:41 pm »
I have an image in my mind of Davy Crockett standing on a parapet of the Alamo tipping his powder horn into Old Betsey. How did he control the amount of powder going in? Very tough to do in the heat of battle. Too much and Betsey might explode and too little and the ball may get stuck in the barrel.

Offline Spotted Dog

Re: Powder horns
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 02:30:51 pm »
  Been shooting black powder since 75. Was always told NEVER from the horn.  More than likely he would/could have used a paper cartridge in battle.
I know that is the way to do a smooth bore musket. They loaded like that into the Civil War. My thoughts.

Dog
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 02:31:54 pm »
Practice makes perfect..... ::)

You can pour from the horn but you must know how far to count to get the load you want. Not all powder horn holes are created equal. In my younger days I had a horn that I could count to 6 and have a close to 80-100 grain load. I did the 6 count with a buddies horn and thought the ram rod was stuck and not setting the ball. We eventually figured a 6 count with his horn was well over a 100 grain load, maybe twice that. I said, nothing holding the ball back so it will shoot it out. I shot it and broke the wrist area of his gun.....hurt my shoulder also!

A old system was to put a ball in the hand and pour powder until it covered the ball. Suppose to be the right load. Might work????

A powder measure is the only safe and sure way to know.....Be careful and Good Luck

Spotted Dog is correct, I have seen a bit of smoke several seconds after a shot so a bit of fire may still be hanging. Could be from a bit of cloth patch or a little powder stuck in a corner of the breech.....dangerous stuff. That horn explosion will kill.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:24:01 pm »
There has been some serious injuries from exploding powder horns. Some ranges will not let you put them on your shooting table. You should never pour powder in the barrel directly from the horn.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 03:26:44 pm »
I did a Google search on loading black powder guns. Got all the info I wanted.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 05:04:22 pm »
 I hope it was good and correct.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 02:43:11 pm »
I went to two or three sites and they agreed with each other so that's usually positive. It was just for curiosity anyway, I doubt I'll ever shoot one :(

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 09:45:21 pm »
Why, they are fun? ;D It's not that complicated.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 04:33:17 am »
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning  ;) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 10:05:20 am »
Yep campfire smoke and black powder smoke are good  in my world.I never ever pour from the horn even after blowing through the barrel to put out any sparks between shots.It is'nt worth the risk.I don't care how they show it in the movies.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 09:29:00 pm »
The good Lord must just watch out for us idiots that don't know better
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 03:50:52 pm »
I love shooting my old smokepole Hawken rifle. I have the training wheels of the percussion cap but looking to upgrade to a flintlock "IF" I can sell that one past the wife.

Quick loads where made and carried in paper cartridges. Revolutionary war soldier had paper cartridge leather bags they wore on thier side for quick loading. Daniel Boon probably had them in is Possibles bag also.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 03:58:07 pm »
The good Lord must just watch out for us idiots that don't know better

He'll only watch out for you for so long :D :D

Offline timmyd

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 09:53:19 am »
just my opinion but I would think in the heat of the battle, pouring from your powder horn is the least of your concerns  :)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 12:41:42 pm »
Lewis Wetzel;

Descriptions of Lewis Wetzel's appearance are similar to other accounts of contemporary white and Indian scouts. Christian Cackler recalled, "Lewis Wetzel was a man about six feet and well porportioned rather raw boned & active dark and swarthy. I have seen Indians since I thought was about as white as he was."14 Lewis Bonnett remembered him as possessing very muscular arms and shoulders with well-proportioned legs and smallish feet, braided hair carefully knotted around his shoulders which reached nearly to his calves when combed out, extremely piercing black eyes, swarthy complexion much pitted by smallpox, and pierced ears from which he wore silk tassels and other ornaments.15

Wetzel's legendary athletic prowess was attested by Caleb Wells. When attacking an Indian camp with Wetzel, Wells began chasing an Indian only to be outrun by Lewis. By the time Wells reached the stricken Indian, Wetzel had tomahawked and scalped him. Since Wells had considered himself swift of foot, he later challenged Wetzel to a race of one hundred yards. Not only did Lewis easily win the race, but he discharged his rifle at the beginning, reloaded as he ran, and fired again as he reached the finish line.l6

Foremost among Wetzel's skills was his ability to load a rifle while running at top speed to avoid capture. His adroitness was illustrated by his escape after Colonel Crawford's defeat on the Sandusky in 1782. Thomas Mills implored Wetzel to return and assist him in retrieving a valuable horse. Although Wetzel warned Mills that the Indians might lay in ambush for just such an attempt, he persisted. Lewis accompanied him only to see his worst fears realized. Mills was shot while reaching for the animal's tether rope. After shooting one of the assailants, Wetzel outdistanced all but four of the most determined Indians. They laid aside their guns, assuming the white man would never succeed in reloading. Lewis accomplished this near-impossible feat three times, and shot as many of his pursuers. The fourth gave up the chase with the exclamation, "No catch [th]at man, gun always loaded."17

Wetzel's ability to reload on the run is an exploit not even claimed by Samuel Brady. A rifle, its barrel interior configured with raised and spiraling lands, presents a more difficult task of normal reloading than does a smoothbore weapon. This is especially so after an initial discharge due to the heavy residue of black powder. Present-day students of material culture are perplexed at providing a probable explanation for this phenomenon so generally attributed to Wetzel. One possibility is, when making his famous races against death, Wetzel loaded with unpatched balls of considerably less size than the caliber of his rifle. He might then have seated the powder and ball by bouncing the butt of his rifle on the ground as he ran, as well as striking the breech area of the barrel with the heel of an open palm. This would avoid the cumbersome use of a ramrod. An enlarged touchhole could also allow the flintlock pan to have become self-priming.

Jacob Wetzel was credited with a quick reload during the late 1780s when Indians attacked a cabin occupied by himself and his sister Susannah. After Jacob cleverly used a wooden head decoy to attract the first shot, the Indians rushed the cabin on the assumption that he had been killed. "Jacob shot one dead on his approach--and Susan quickly shut and bolted the door. Jacob soon had powder in his gun and roling two naked bullets down, and fired out a porthole just as the Indian was in the act of making off--the two balls taking effect in the Indian's back which soon brought him to the ground." This quick reload employing "two naked bullets" clearly suggests no use of a ramrod or the normal greased patch.18

Jeptha R. Simms published an account of Nathaniel Foster, born about 1767 in Vermont, who became a much-noted hunter in the vicinity of Herkimer, New York, by the early 1790s. Foster is credited with an ability to fire six shots per minute with his rifle.

While hunting he usually wore three rifle balls between the fingers of each hand, and invariably thus in the left hand, if he had that number of balls with him. He had a large bony hand, and having worn such jewels a long time, they had made for themselves cavities in the flesh which concealed them almost as effectively as they were, when hid in the moulds in which they were run from the fused lead. The superficial observer would not have noticed them.

Foster's quick shooting was in the days of flintlocks. He had a powder flask with a charger, and with six well pared balls between his fingers, he would pour in the powder, drop in a ball that would just roll down without a patch, and striking the breech of his gun with his hand, it was primed; soon after which the bullet was speeding to its mark. These rapid discharges could only be made at a short distance, as to make long shots it became necessary to patch the balls and drive them down with a rod, the latter being dispensed with the former case.19
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes