Author Topic: Sage for a bow?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Ippus

Sage for a bow?
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:20:48 pm »
I thought I saw somebody mention a sage bow in another thread (it occurs this might've just been short for osage), but it had me thinking... Sage brush (mostly Artemisia tridentata) around here is huge and plentiful. That and juniper are the dominant local species.
I saw some in a burn scar on my way home today that was easily tall enough for a bow (all the foliage was burned off the main trunk). The biggest problem I can see is that it's mostly pretty twisty, gnarly stuff.

How 'bout it? Anybody ever tried/made a bow from sage brush? Any tips for finding straight ones, or otherwise overcoming the corkscrew growth habit?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:24:09 pm by Ippus »
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Sage for a bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:49:57 pm »
No experience with sage sorry.
Go for the juniper! One of my favourite woods

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sage for a bow?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:18:23 pm »
Give it a try. You never know. Start with an over built bow, long and wide with a flat belly. You will learn a lot about the wood and bow building by doing so.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC