Author Topic: lilac? ( not lilac)  (Read 3234 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
lilac? ( not lilac)
« on: November 16, 2016, 06:03:55 am »
I recently found a patch of lilac growing in a pine thicket. There are several shoots that look promising for shafts. Just wondered if anyone has used it or has any advice on it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:46:28 pm by turtle »
Steve Bennett

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: lilac?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:47:03 am »
Steve, there have been quite a few lilac bows posted here. Seems to be a pretty good bow wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:48:28 pm »
Steve, there have been quite a few lilac bows posted here. Seems to be a pretty good bow wood.

There's a couple promising staves there also. Being in the pines seems to make it grow tall and straight.
Steve Bennett

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:36:09 pm »
From the little bit I have worked with lilac, I would think it would be similar to dogwood, which makes a great arrow.  I will have to try some - the lilac in our yard probably has a few arrow-worthy shoots.  Not sure why I never thought of that...

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: lilac? ( not lilac)
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 08:45:37 pm »
When I foung this patch my first impression was that it is a dogwood of some kind, but the only dogwoods I have found are flowering dogwoods which this doesnt resemble exept for the leaves. I then got it in my head that it is lilac, but today I finaly remembered to look at my wifes lilacs (which im not allowed to touch)  and it definitely isn't lilac. So im back to dogwood again but cant figure out what kind. Any ideas?
  Thanks.

The bark doesnt look like any flowering I have seen and flowering usualy has to many branches all in wrong spots to make arrows.
Steve Bennett

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:50:49 pm »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 12:32:15 am »
As soon as I saw the leaves I thought dogwood and not lilac. We have lots of silky dogwood(Cornus amomum). It's growing along our creek. Never used it for bows or arrows but I may be cutting some back this winter so I'll save shoots and trunks to give them a try. Most dogwoods are good for bows and/or arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 05:31:03 am »
Silky Dogwood??
http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/silkydogwood

Thanks.
I had actually looked at that page before but somehow came away thinking silky had alternate leaves. I realy need to get a good book on plant identification.
Steve Bennett

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 07:17:32 am »
Those look very promising, certainly seems like it would be worth trying them. I'd cut them long leave the bark on for a couple months at least, bundle them together nice and straight and let them dry for a good while. I would probably play around with a couple if I had a bunch sooner but they should get better drying out good.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 08:49:36 am »
All dogwoods have opposite leaves except Pagoda dogwood(Cornus alternafilia), a small understory tree.