Author Topic: Albino Osage Bow  (Read 11417 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Albino Osage Bow
« on: November 17, 2016, 09:20:30 pm »
This bow has been a work in progress for several years.  Whenever I headed to a gathering I would grab it out of the corner and take it with me.  I'd get a little bit of work done on it at each event.  I don't remember ever having this bow on a tiller tree.  I would draw it back and rely on the eyes of my bow building friends to tell me where I needed to scrape.  I imagine that is how a lot of native bows were tillered. 

The bow is darker osage.  It really held its reflex.  It's 59" from nock to nock.  The stave was only 3/4" thick to begin with so I had to build up the handle with some leather on the belly and back for a more rounded grip.  The skin is albino rat snake that I got in trade with Stringman.  Thanks buddy.  The skin was white but when I glued it down it turned clear.  I was able to see the air bubbles and glue pockets under it while I was gluing it down.  I like how it turned out.  It reminds me of ghost flames on a custom car.  The overlays are osage scraps because I forgot to pack any horn pieces to the Moontree gathering last year when I flipped the tips on it.  The string is 10 strands of D-97.  I used something different for the finish on it. 

Here is what I used to seal the bow.  Some guys over on TG were talking about using it on FG bows so I thought I'd give it a try on a selfbow.  It dries super fast.  I put 4 coats on the bow in under 25 minutes.  Each coat is dry to the touch in about 2 minutes.  It seems like a very hard finish but is still flexible.  I was very happy with the results.  I want to get the glossy finish and try it next time.   

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Albino Osage Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:29:53 pm »
Sweet looking outcome on your bow in finished profile and and the finish work with that snake skin.Congrats.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 09:40:00 pm »
Thanks Beadman.

I forgot the stats.  I never checked the weight on it with a scale but it feels pretty stiff.  I'm guessing 45-50 lbs at my draw length.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 09:43:22 pm »
You couldn't have asked for a better combination, Mr. Clint. That girl looks good. I'll have to give the Clear Coat a try.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 09:51:34 pm »
What a great looking bow and the contrast of the handle really works Clint. Great bend and i really like those skins
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:56:19 pm »
Wow Clint that bow is really slick. The albino skin is just too cool. Great job!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 09:56:47 pm »
That bow's got personality. Seems like the time you took making it really payed off. There's a lot for me to learn there. Thanks for posting!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 10:16:01 pm »
 Looks good. A little like fiberglass cloth. lol

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 10:18:29 pm »
Super cool Clint  8)

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 10:35:51 pm »
Sweet looking bow! I like the braced profile.  Excellent job!
Northern Ute

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 10:39:51 pm »
That's very nice looking! All around, I really like that skin. Even though I'm not a huge fan of skins. That's a nice one! Cheers- Brendan

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 11:25:51 pm »
Nicely done Clint, those skins are really unusual.

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 11:57:45 pm »
Great bow!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 12:11:00 am »
Very nice, Clint.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 04:15:29 am »
The profile says everything ! Very nice - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.