Author Topic: Shark skin curing, tanning?  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Orrum

Shark skin curing, tanning?
« on: November 18, 2016, 11:06:53 pm »
Howdy, in Orlando Fla visiting the grandson. Took him on a headboat fishing out of Cape Canaveral today. We caught a bunch of Red Snapper that you have to release, sad but true. There were four Atlantic Sharp nose or something sharks caught and kept. I got three of them and the mate fileted them and gave me the skin too!!!   Score!!!!   So the sharks were about 3 feet and the filet was shorter of course but I probably got skin that's almost 2 feet long. Rolled them up and put them in a bag in the freezer to take back to NC Sunday. My question is how do I tan or cure them?   A guy on the boat said to soak them in a jar full of antifreeze. Then to wash and stir them in a 5 gallon bucket of water with a cup of borax. I think I read here somewhere that antifreeze was bad to use because the skins would be hard to glue to bows. I hope to back my bow with these. That is when I get the bow made! LOL. Workin on the project slowly but I will get there!!!
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline bubby

Re: Shark skin curing, tanning?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 12:01:06 am »
I have tanned snakeskins in antifreeze before and used them on bows, just wash them in soapy water use dawn and rinse or just dry them without all that work
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:20:34 am »
If I planned on putting it on a bow, I would just be sure it is scrapped clean of any flesh and fat, tack out and let dry. Then you get ready to use it just rehydrate it with water and glue it on the bow. Not sure on shark but that is how I have done Carp skins and they worked and kept fine. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:36:53 am »
I'm thinking I would agree with Pappy. I'm not sure about shark but everything I've done or heard of is rawhide (scraped clean and dried).  I read somewhere once that you don't want to tan skins for backing bows because the oils stop glue from working. I've never used the antifreeze style tan so maybe that's ok sounds like bubby has had success with it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Orrum

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:02:55 am »
I think I will tan them to use for display. Was talking to Mullet and Parnell and apparently shark doest make a good backing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 09:37:22 am »
In that case I use glycerin cut about 20% with alcohol for snake skins if I plan on using them for hat bands or just want them soft and not planning on using them on a bow. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 01:32:42 pm »
I told you how they do it in Asia ::). The skins are really better used for a handle grip or sand paper.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Orrum

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 02:38:26 pm »
Hand grip is me!!!  Maybe display...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 01:07:54 am »

Shark skin, used to be used for sand paper, before sand paper came along.  If you are going to use them for a grip, I would recommend you sand down the dentiles, or little teeth on the skin like they do with ray skin.  Other wise, you will be getting big callouses and scratches.  As for the meat, it is high in uric acid.  You can soak it in a solution of water, & salt, in the refrigerator, over night.  Some people soak the meat in milk.  Anyway, the fish n chips in England, I have read is actually shark.  As for sand paper, in the Virgin Islands, there is a museum on St. Croix, in the U.S. Virgin islands,called the Whim House.  It had the only still functioning wind mill.  Really neat place. They still had the original out buildings, work shop, and an "Apothecary" shop, with original medical books, and original microscope, and bottles, still filled with medicine, and a huge bowl carved out of lime stone, with a clay bowl under neath that.  They would poor water in the limestone bowl, and the water would leach through it, and drip into the clay bowl, and you had pure water.  Also they wanted you to sit in the chairs, lie down on the beds, etc., to see what if was like back then.  These were late 1600-late 1700's period furniture!  Absolutely beautiful, and amazing craftsmanship!  Anyway,like I said, they have all the original out buildings, as well, and still stocked with the original tools, and even have an original letter from Alexander Hamilton's order for products there, mainly sugar, and molasses. And they had some trigger fish skins hanging up, and a description explaining these were used as sand paper.  I don't know if it is still standing, or not I can't remember which hurricane, Hugo? That went through there and did a lot of damage, so I don't know if the place is still standing or not.

Wayne

Offline Orrum

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:30:46 am »
Interesting and really sorta good news. So fish n Chips at my house tonite!