Author Topic: Life expectancy of linen string  (Read 4169 times)

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
Life expectancy of linen string
« on: November 26, 2016, 05:45:39 pm »
What is life expectancy of linen string? How many shots a linen string will take? Is there any reference in literature of the subject? How about your own experience?

And how about other natural string materials - silk, rawhide, gut, sinew, etc.?

Offline loon

Re: Life expectancy of linen string
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 07:00:02 pm »
good question
I would think natural strings aren't worth it if they can all break without showing obvious damage

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 08:13:37 pm »
Linen is supposed to be very good if you get quality linen, you might get more response on the warbow page
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 08:48:26 pm »
I know Dave Mead from Mead long bows is a member here and he uses linen strings on his bows you might want to PM him he could probably give you the longevity answer I can't remember his thread handle.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 08:55:02 pm »
It depends on the strength of the string in relation to the bow.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 09:00:47 pm »
  As Mark said. I t holds up well as long as it is strong enough and your string is very well made with equal tension on the strands. Linen is very good at finding the strands with the most tension on them and breaking. Almost ne stretch with linen to equal out the strands.

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 04:42:16 am »
Thanks for answers. So, does anybody has real experience? According to old literature, it is said the nocking point and timber hitch are the weak points. But I have not found any numbers – is it 1000 or 5000 or more shots? One hint is from Forbes (1955) – he used linen strings, shot a lot and wore out three string per season. Active target shooter is shooting maybe 15000–30000 shot per season, so it would be then 5000–10000 shots per string.

Marc – I think that with natural material strings the strength of the string relation to the bow does not carry much significance. The string should has breaking strength 4–7 times compared to the bow weight. Old target shooting literature (Gordon, Elmer, etc.) says 6–7 times. It can not be much more because then the string would be too thick. The string wears out at nocking point and timber hitch, and relative strength has (almost) nothing to do with these points, supposing that those are somehow reinforced. But, I am not sure, I am just guessing, this would be nice thing to test.

So, I made one test string. Made a two loop linen string for modern fast longbow, 41#@28” – not a easy bow for the string. Old Irish linen, 22 strand, breaking strength 280 pound, so strength coefficient is seven. Cotton servings, beeswax, mass was 130 grains.

Nocking point was too tight and it was causing some problems. After 3000 shots I opened the center serving and found that two strands was broken and two other strands was almost broken. Lesson learned…

I made another linen string, almost identical but thinner center serving. Thousand shots so far and the string is like new. Hoping that it will last at least 5000 shots, maybe more.

Here is some pictures of the 3000 shots string. The last image is where you can see broken strands just under the nocking point (center serving is removed).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:28:54 am by Tuomo »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 11:44:34 am »
Tuomo,
            I have used linen exclusively on my primitive bows...Had one failure at the loop where a couple of strands broke under the serving...As stated above it is critical to have even tension on each strand...I make my continuous strand strings on 2 nails. After tying the loose ends I rotate the entire string in a clockwise manner several times around the nails as I wax the fibers, this ensures even tension before I serve the loops...I also made a linen string with extra fibers in the loop by continuously wrapping 16 strands then serving the loop with hide glue soaked linen then cut away 8 strands per instructions TBB volume 2 page 231...Makes a super strong loop! To ensure tension is even on each strand I will let the string stay braced for a couple of hours and draw the bow quite often without shooting...A new string gets shot several times at half draw...
           String below has well over a thousand shots and was used 2 hunting seasons...Also included a pic of the 8 strand hide glue loop string...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 12:25:30 pm »
   I make primarily flemish twist strings even though I believe the continuous loop to be superior. When my flemish break they usually break in the middle of the string, when my continuous break they usually break at one of the loops.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 04:45:40 pm »
Where do you acquire linen that's suitable for strings? I've always wanted to get away from my synthetic B55 and BCY-X strings but I don't have a clue as to where one finds top-notch linen.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 07:07:29 pm »
 The place I buy mine has gotten so expensive I hate to recommend them anymore.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 07:59:25 pm »
I made a linen string for one of my pope style longbows and I gotta say I like a linen string. Not sure about they're life expectancy but they are nice to shoot out of.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 05:08:47 am »
Never tried it so have no opinion , seems Tuomo already has his answer, not sure why he is asking. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 09:12:15 am »
I am asking, because I want to know! And then, this is a discussion forum...

Really, there is no "stupid" questions. My question is relevant. According to old literature, there is only some hints, no hard facts. I have made just one test, with one string. Thus, it is not possible to draw a conclusion. I want to know what the others know and after then I and the others can conclude.

Seems that most "lace making linen" threads are good quality. And then "Coats Barbour's linen" threads are also very good quality.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 09:25:19 am »
I though I read you made 2 test strings, :-\  anyway discuss on, sorry for the interruption.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good