Author Topic: how many arrows?  (Read 12011 times)

Offline benjamin

how many arrows?
« on: March 06, 2008, 08:07:31 pm »
I've heard of hunting with 3 arrows and anything up to 20! I like one or two judos with three to four broadheads. What do you more experienced hunters do? I ask because I want to make a minimalist quiver, maybe to hold 5 arrows. Too much or too little?

Offline Kegan

Re: how many arrows?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:24:13 pm »
Three broadheads when I go for deer, and add a blunt or two for squirrels. I take more out when I hunt just for tree rats though.Normally don't take more than six broadheads when I try for big game- takes up too much room in the quiver, but I don't hunt very far from home though- just out the door ;).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 03:46:12 pm by Kegan »

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:27:47 pm »
 3 stone broadheads in hand and 2 blunts and a skipper in quiver ifn I even take one. 5 arras is fine B............................bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »
 I usually carry as many arrows in my quiver as I can. But I will pull off my quiver when crawling and stalking and take an arrow on the bow and one in the hand.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 10:58:08 pm »
I have only needed to take one.....never see anything anyway LOL

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:41:26 pm »
3 or 4 broadheads. 2 squirrel points. usually when im sittin i leave one on the string and another laying near me for quick "reload" so i will usually carry another. you never know how many arrows you may need.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline John K

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 12:09:31 am »
I take 5, 3 broadheads and 2 hex blunts. Thats all my quiver carrys.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 12:14:53 am »
I carried a side quiver, sort of like the plains tribes had, and I added a holder for my 3 broadhead arrows. Total I had about 12, I think, but I also had unfinished arrows in the nice, spacious quiver.  ;)
   Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 01:17:07 am »
I am like the old timers. I like to have plenty of arrows.When I carry a back quiver I might take a dozen or more. With the Asbell style quiver six or eight. I stump shoot a lot in the field and sometimes I can lose several to the trees while shooting at grouse. I have been known to offer an arrow to the gods by just letting it fly down the mountain into the forest. I always keep plenty in camp as well.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 01:51:05 am »
I carry 3 stone two field points and a judo when I'm wandering.  If I'm on a stalk I carry one stone point on the string and one extra in my bow hand.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:36:12 am »
4 broadheads and 1 blunt.  I like to take a few shots on the way in and out.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 09:20:25 am »
3 broadheads and a judo for deer,when I am stump shooting or squirrel hunting I take
a bunch of all different kinds.  ;) About 6 if I am shooting a tournament and usually
need them all. ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 09:43:58 am »
2 in the hand one on the bow. i do kill a lot of stone points though when i get bored and start stalking squirrels ;D

Offline Postman

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 11:56:48 am »
Rarely more than 4  - I've never gotten a second shot at a deer, and only take 3 broad heads and a judo to kill that squirrel that won't mind his own buisness 
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:24:10 pm »
Only one arrow for each type of critter I'm after.  Usually, that means 1 arrow.  It doesn't bug me to hike back to camp to get another arrow if I loose (or break) the first one.....and I won't starve if I don't kill anything.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr