Author Topic: Be the new yew!  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Accipiter

Be the new yew!
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:44:19 pm »
This is a new one I just finished up, out of some California yew. Really nice tight-ringed wood, but had about 2" of initial deflex, so I opted for a mild recurve design. Ended up a bit shy of hunting weight, but shoots accurately, and seems to be as fast as some of my heavier bows.

The tips aren't super narrow, but theres only some small leather overlays (soaked in superglue) and I I-beamed the last 3 inches of the tip, as an experiment. Fun, but next time I think I'll just go with a narrower nock design!

It was also my first inlayed arrow pass, which I will definitely be repeating, as the leather is much quieter than wood. The whole bow is very quiet actually, since the recurves aren't big enough to have any string slap.

Money Shot!

63.25 ntn
42 lb @26" (braced t 6.5")
1.5" at the fades, .5" at the tips
18oz

Hard to say what the set ended up, since some of the recurve pulled out. After steaming and heat-setting the recurves I had the tips about 2" ahead of the handle. Now they are at 1.25" behind just unbraced, and settle in at .5" ahead. I didn't add any reflex to the main limb, and didnt toast the belly super hard either, so I'm pretty happy, and it should last a good long while as a target bow.

Bonus, my first official Robin Hood arrow!  :D But...now I have to repair that arrow  :'(

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Be the new yew!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 11:18:12 pm »
The colors on that yew are beautiful.  Tiller looks good.  Nice work.  Did you leave the edges sharp on the back? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 11:21:16 pm »
love the sapwood/heartwood contrast. She's a looker
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:08:42 am »
Nice ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:53:49 am »
I like it, very nice job. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline neuse

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 06:50:17 am »
The sap wood, heart wood contrast look really good.
I think the weight is just right.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 07:45:36 am »
Nice bow accipiter, looks like all the hole are in a nice group on your target. You could just hang those Robin Hood arrows on the wall.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 08:50:43 am »
Nice Job and as everyone else has noted the sapwood hardwood contrast is beautiful!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 12:05:01 pm »
Great looking bow. That creamy colored sapwood contrasting with the heartwood is striking.
And the 42# draw weight will be appreciated when you are older and in your 60's like me..  ;)

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 12:12:22 pm »
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it. Its definitely pretty wood, and easy to work with too, especially compared to ocean spray!

Outlaw, I rounded the edges on the back slightly with a file and sanding, but they are somewhat sharp. The spot in the tip picture has an odd 'rim' on the wood that makes it look a bit sharper than it is for most of the limb though.

Bjrogg, thanks! What you can't see is that the target is only 10 yards away from where I shoot! (my backyard is pretty small : (  But, I'm definitely starting to get tighter groups.

PaulN, I appreciate the 42# now! I don't think I could ever draw some of the heavyweight bows I see on here.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 12:22:40 pm »
Accipiter, 10 yards is fine. I hardly ever shoot more than 20 anymore I just kinda practice for hunting really. I try to practice more different angles, bending over, sitting just generally a lot of different positions. I don't have a target range here to go to and I really am way more interested in hunting but I love to shoot whenever I can. If you get good groups at 10 then when you move back you'll soon get good groups at 20.
Bjrogg

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 12:27:02 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement Bjrogg, its good to hear. I do try to shoot from odd angles, to the extent that I can. Hopefully that will translate well to hunting later! Definitely want to be hitting the center consistently from all sorts of weird shots at 20 yards before I draw on a deer.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 01:36:02 pm »
The sap wood, heart wood contrast look really good.
I think the weight is just right.
+1
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 01:37:20 pm »
That's the way to do it Accipiter. Get that 8 to 18 yards just so you don't have to think to make it. I love the up close and personal hunt. It would be so cool if everyone hunted like this. 10 yards sounds like a easy shot but it's still hunting and a thousand things can screw you up. It takes some of those things to go your way to be able to get a good shot off without spooking the deer or multiple deer. I hope it happens for you looks like your off to a great start to me. Just remember when you get that shot look at your spot. There comes a time when you have to quit watching and reading the deer and just concentrate on your spot. At least that's how it is for me. Good Luck and real nice bow.
Bjrogg

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 05:13:02 pm »
That looks like a lovely bow and 40+lbs is nice for target shooting right?  Jobs a good un' mate!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb