Author Topic: Reflex Bow issue  (Read 5470 times)

Offline alwayslookin

Reflex Bow issue
« on: December 10, 2016, 03:40:51 pm »
So i have a crepe myrtle bow Ive been working for a while now.Its pretty reflexed about 3 inches give or take. I have been trying to brace it to continue tillering. I wants to flip around every time i do this though. Is this a handle or tip alignment issue? I have never worked such a reflexed stave so any help or ideas would be great.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Badger

Re: Reflex Bow issue
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 03:52:35 pm »
  Too much working limb can cause this especially in the outer limbs. Too narrow can also make them touchy, reflexing right out of the handle can contribute as well. 3" is just about the point where they start getting touchy and more sensitive to different issues. If I limit my working limb to about 12" I can easily keep about 6" reflex with loosing stability at brace. Of course trying to keep your reflex without much working limb means you need to go wider and thinner.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 05:26:57 pm »
Yes, it can be a tip alignment issue. I've cut the nocks a little further in on upper and lower limbs on the side it is flipping towards. See if that helps. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 08:21:54 pm »
Just like the pros have said, it's always been width, location of reflex, and/or alignment for me. The shape of the handle seems to affect stability at brace as well. If the belly side is "trapped" (narrower compared to the back side) the bow wants to flip around.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 08:25:46 pm »
 With an unreflexed bow you can use a loose tillering string, or a low brace height to tentatively check the tiller, before increasing to a full brace height.
With a reflexed bow you need to brace the bow higher from the get go. 5" or more this will stop the tendency for the bow to flip itself. A higher initial brace height also gives you a clearer read whether the string is tracking correctly.

This can be a lot riskier than an unreflexed bow, as you can induce set, or hinges, or even break a stave by trying to bend it too much whilst its too strong
Before you try it make sure the limbs are bending smoothly and are of a relatively even strength. This is done by floortillering.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 09:34:27 pm »
When i have this problem i glue on some temporary string bridges and that solves the problem
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 04:46:16 am »
With an unreflexed bow you can use a loose tillering string, or a low brace height to tentatively check the tiller, before increasing to a full brace height.
With a reflexed bow you need to brace the bow higher from the get go. 5" or more this will stop the tendency for the bow to flip itself. A higher initial brace height also gives you a clearer read whether the string is tracking correctly.

This can be a lot riskier than an unreflexed bow, as you can induce set, or hinges, or even break a stave by trying to bend it too much whilst its too strong
Before you try it make sure the limbs are bending smoothly and are of a relatively even strength. This is done by floortillering.

100% Agreed.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 04:43:39 pm »

100% Agreed.
+1   I like to get my reflexed  bows tillered out to about 14 inches with the long string before I try to get it braced.
Northern Ute

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 05:08:58 pm »
  Too much working limb can cause this especially in the outer limbs. Too narrow can also make them touchy, reflexing right out of the handle can contribute as well. 3" is just about the point where they start getting touchy and more sensitive to different issues. If I limit my working limb to about 12" I can easily keep about 6" reflex with loosing stability at brace. Of course trying to keep your reflex without much working limb means you need to go wider and thinner.
So too much working limb i was thinking the opposite.. The reflex does come out of the handle

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 05:09:30 pm »
Yes, it can be a tip alignment issue. I've cut the nocks a little further in on upper and lower limbs on the side it is flipping towards. See if that helps. Jawge
Can you explain that a little more if you dont mind?

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 05:12:53 pm »

Ya i think this could be part of my issue its pretty strong still i think i will bring the weight down then try a higher brace. Should i get the the middle end or close to the handle bending more? id say most of the flex is in the middle to end right now.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 05:30:46 pm »
Apart from obvious excessive stiffness problems always save the adjustments to tiller, near the handle until the latter part of the process, preferably. Otherwise you could end up with a bow that bends too much near the handle, resulting in handshock and poor cast. You will need to judge how the limb is bending  by floor tillering, or using a long string on a tillering tree whilst physically holding the handle down so it won't be able to flip itself inside out.

By the time you get the bow braced, and then bending a bit you can start to really assess the bend and where you need to make adjustments.
As always the set the stave takes whilst you are exercising it, or trying to string it is a good way to judge if it is bending too much in one spot.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 06:22:23 pm »
Even if the tips are aligned.... the thickness of the limbs from side to side can cause the bow to want to flip.......even thickness from side to side of the limbs is very important on highly reflex bows.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 05:25:59 pm »
Even if the tips are aligned.... the thickness of the limbs from side to side can cause the bow to want to flip.......even thickness from side to side of the limbs is very important on highly reflex bows.....
DBar
So what effect do you think doing a mild hollow limb design will play into that?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 05:40:38 pm »
Don't know..... never done a hollow limb.....but I would imagine it would be fine if the thickness from side to side was uniform.  what happens if one side of the limb is thicker than the other it will be stiffer than the other side and cause the tip to pull to the stiff side.  this shows up on tight static recurves.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking