Author Topic: Badger tanning tips  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Badger tanning tips
« on: December 22, 2016, 01:53:49 pm »
Recently I've been asked by a guy to tan a badger for him. He's got it frozen whole. I've never tanned or skinned a badger and was curious if there is anything to watch for with them. I've done raccon, beaver, fox, and muskrats. I'm guessing they will be similar to a raccoon and will have a thick patch that'll need thinned. He wants it case skinned so he can hang it or drape it on furniture. So I'll stretch the hide over an appropriately sized stretcher when I get the animal.

I usually only tan hides for myself or close friends, and he wants to pay me for it. But I have no idea what to ask. But I figure it'll take a minimum of 10 hours to skin, flesh, board, thin, break, and finally smoke the hide. If I only end up having to oil the hide once. Probably 2 weeks from start to finish, and hope he treated the animal properly from the start so I won't have hair slip issues.

If I end up taking on the project I can take some pictures of the process of anyone would want me to.

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Badger tanning tips
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 02:14:10 pm »
I don't have any input as to how to do it. however I'd love to see pictures of the process. if you do take pic. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 03:56:59 pm »
Sure.Go for it.You've got the right thread to show it and it sounds like you know what to do.That's what this site is all about.I'm sure someone would like to know.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:08:25 pm »
If the opportunity was mine I would jump all over it. I love tanning critters and a badger is on top of my wish list. I use commercial tanning supply's, and would defiantly would take my time with it. The last thing you want is the hair to slip. Can't wait to see the pics. Keep us posted I'm sure you will do a awesome job!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 09:10:26 pm »
Yes of course. :) Go for it.
You know you won't be alone >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.