Author Topic: Stains, dyes and ?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Stains, dyes and ?
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:21:32 am »
I've been working on this HHB for a friend of mine. I have it shooting now and really close to done. He shot it yesterday and was very happy with it. He had a tri lam before and this bow looks like it fits him good. He doesn't want any skins or stain because he wants to do it himself. He owns a body shop and does amazing airbrush work and wants to airbrush his bow. (I'm afraid it won't look real primitive but I don't know what in his creative mind) . My question is what type of products a person could use. He asked about different stains but I thought for the base he's looking for maybe dyes would be better although I have Zero experience with them. My original thought was a light stain, a couple coats of tru oil scuff it with steel wool a then he could go crazy with his brush. I'm open to any suggestions I could offer him.
Bjrogg
PS here are some pictures of the naked bow with me drawing it. It's not a true full draw as my draw is about 2" less than his
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Stains, dyes and ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:29:49 am »
Oh by the way the tractor in background of unbraced and braced pictures is the first tractor my grandpa had on this farm brand new. It is a 1937 JD AR and arrived on this farm almost exactly 80 years ago just 2 months before my dad was born. It's been a few years since it's been running and time to get it going for dad's 80th birthday this June.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 08:33:08 am »
For dye all I've ever used has been fiebings leather dye and I bet HHB would take it well although I've never used it on HHB before.Some scraps around to test on are good to have.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 08:38:10 am »
Nice worth while project with the tractor bjrogg.That's really connecting with your past.He'll like that.Heck of a tractor back in the day your Grandpa was farming.
I've got that 1850 Oliver too although it only was made back in 1966.
BowEd
Ed

Offline FilipT

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 08:41:40 am »
Very cool bow and John Deer. My first bows were coated with European walnut husk stain. For the last one I used specific alcohol based dye from Sadolin, Palisander color.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 08:54:40 am »
Thanks Ed I think I'm going to try some experiments with some dye. I have 4 bows ready to finish for my grandkids now. Time to try something different.
Ed my dad is so excited to hear the old AR run again and I am too. I've often thought how amazing it most have been for my grandpa. My grandma lived to 94 she saw so many changes. Always giggling would say "the good old days the good old days, what the hell was so good about them? I like my indoor plumbing, washing machine, oven anybody that tells you the good old days never lived though them" they where special people but they where just doing what it took to survive and raise 14 kids.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 08:55:14 am »
I've used RIT clothing dye with good results.  I know the leather dye works very well also. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 08:56:05 am »
Very nice bow. The only dye  I've used is Rit in denatured alcohol. Jawge
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:08:04 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 09:03:09 am »
Finely ground charcoal rubbed in gives a nice light stain that highlights the grain.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 09:05:20 am »
Thanks guys I really like all the ideas and appreciated any info I can experiment with.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 09:33:47 am »
Well bjrogg that's a really nice bow and gift you've got there and good of you just not slapping something on there for finish without knowing.
Them old coggers talk the good old days.What we don't know does'nt hurt us as they say.We would of done ok then too knowing what we knew.Things went slower.Seems like we've seen changes too and the difference is we're acknowledgeing their times in respect.That's family.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 09:44:09 am »
I totally agree Ed, I remember my great uncle would say you guys work so hard and I didn't understand. I asked what do you mean you worked way harder than we do. He said we worked hard but when the horses where tired you had to rest them. When the sun went down you put them in the barn. It was a different life and I believe it was probably harder on the women in some ways and they really appreciated the "modern conveniences " sure is interesting thinking back on my younger days to so many changes.
Bjrogg

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 10:42:09 am »
I've used the same dye on wood that is traditionally used on traps. Take a half dozen stag horn sumac berry clusters and boil with some rusty metal. When it turns black it's done. I wait until it cools then coat until desired darkness is achieved.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline barebo

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 12:25:24 pm »
The Feibings leather dye works like a charm on HHB and I've had the same results with Minwax stains. HHB will absorb readily. After staining, 0000 steel wool will allow you to bring the grain out in light/dark patterns depending on how aggressive  you are with it.
Don't know what airbrush paint would do - maybe try some samples of the same wood before going for it on the bow?

Great stick - look forward to seeing what your creative buddy comes up with!

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 12:52:42 pm »
If your friend is an airbrusher he probably has all the inks he needs. A good seal with shellac to stop any bleeding should be all he needs. Air brushes take a very fine ink. They clog very easily, I wouldn't try to use natural stain in one. At least not without expecting a lot of cursing :D