Author Topic: when to rawhide back  (Read 2178 times)

Offline smoke

when to rawhide back
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:53:35 am »
Folks, I'd like to hear your thoughts as to when to back a bow with rawhide.  Do you do it when you make a narrow limbed bow?  To protect sinew? For bows only of a certain length?  Your wisdom is appreciated!  Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: when to rawhide back
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:55:54 am »
I only do it when I'm not completely comfortable with the condition of the back. i.e. thin or violated rings. Maybe a bug hole/tunnel or a knot that isn't trustworthy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 12:00:30 pm »
I have no solid reasons but I don't like backing bows(except boo). I guess I have more staves than rawhide and it's easier to start a new one.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:23:47 pm »
Like Pearlie I only back bows that need backing. I have added rawhide to one sinew backed bow only because I was copying one Jay Massey made. Adding rawhide to a sinew backed bow adds a little protection but it also adds extra physical weight which can detract from the bows performance. If you are concerned about protecting the sinew add snake or fish skins or just a thin coat of TBIII glue for waterproofing.
 If you live in a humid area adding the rawhide over the sinew can allow more moisture to enter the bow/sinew/rawhide matrix.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 01:34:11 pm »
I like to use it on HHB bows that have a back that turned out unexpectedly gnarly.  If it has pronounced ridges or lumps from grown over sawfly exit holes I will just make the back a smooth curve like the general curve of the tree and rawhide back it.

I'll also use it on top of sinew if I can get exceptionally thin stuff.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 02:25:31 pm »
What PD said except that I do back yew. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline smoke

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 03:29:52 pm »
Thanks guys - as always you've been very helpful!  Much appreciated,