Author Topic: proper tiller for eastern woodlands type?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline willie

proper tiller for eastern woodlands type?
« on: February 16, 2017, 05:57:05 pm »
heres a 64"ntn piece of hickory with a typical eastern woodlands style width profile,

the drawn pic is at 39# @ 25", ( taken the first time it's been drawn that far)  and I would like to finish out at 35# @ 27",  so I have some room to play.

Having never examined an example of the real thing, and this being a bit longer that most examples, I have no idea what shape bend is considered true to form.

the tips are definitely wider than necessary for a consistent  thickness taper, so I might be OK assuming that the originals were made to have stiff tips.

any comments or suggestions as to where to remove more wood would be welcome.

Offline dylanholderman

Re: proper tiller for eastern woodlands type?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 06:03:37 pm »
I "think" that they just had a circular till like a ELB or any other simple D bow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:14:34 pm »
 I like the tiller pretty much as is. As you lighten it toward your target weight I might stay away from the center 12" of the bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:22:09 pm »
That's an awesome tiller. Go with it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 07:32:59 pm »
Can't tell for sure without a unbraced side profile pic but it sure looks awesome to me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:36:26 pm »
Your left limb looks a bit stiff to me. If you make it the bottom limb it should be fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:10:48 pm »
the center was a little weak. I made a sideways heat correction for a string alignment, and gained reflex right at the handle where I heated. took out a little too much to correct, or maybe the reflex is settling back. 

heres a side view unbraced, showing remnants of reflex and gained set. board was straight to start.

and a bonus pic of the mountains, taken from the lake while ice fishing for lakers yesterday.

thanks for the advice and kind words

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 08:35:37 am »
  Willie,
            I love that bend man....Just plain awesome...
                                                                                     Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:06:12 am »
I like the tiller pretty much as is. As you lighten it toward your target weight I might stay away from the center 12" of the bow.

Exactly my thought as well, Steve. You want that center just a bit stiff, it will smooth the bow out a lot and produce more energy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 07:29:25 am »
I like the bonus pic thanks for sharing I made this bow last year to hunt with same length & style as yours but pulled to 29 In. my tips are a little stiffer then yours  but this bow at this tiller has very little thump & shoots nice these bows are fun to shoot  I think the next one like Pearl said I'm going to stiffing the center up a bit . Look foward to hearing your shooting report.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 08:18:21 am »
That is a beautiful bend, Stick Bender.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:35:43 am »
Great looking bend on that bow, Stick Bender!  Just out of curiosity, how long did you make your bow?

And willie, I hope you post a final pic of how the bow turns out.  It's looking good so far, and I'm sure if you follow the advice that was given, it'll turn out to be a sweet shooter!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 10:46:58 am »
Always mesmerizing bends on those bendy handle bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 11:16:03 am »
I posted that bow because its the exact size & type as Willes is just heaver @52 lb not trying to high jack your thread Willie just posted as a example of what you where asking but thanks for the comments !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline willie

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 01:37:38 pm »
Glad you posted Stickbender, I have been looking at many examples, even seen some museum bows that have an unbelievebly sharp edge on the back corner. Perhaps they are display repos though. Most interpetations show the stiff outers that are chararteristic of keeping the limb thickness taper consistent right up to the wider nocks. Unless someone can point to originals with more radically thinned tips, I will be happy to go with the idea that generous width at the tips was intended to create stiffer tips. The only example I could find otherwise, was this from Al Herrin, with the tips brought around a bit more.  As for stiffer handle sections, I do see a few examples In Alley and Hamm that show slightly thickened handles sections, although apparently not necessarily for narrowing. And as PD points out, stiffer handles makes for better shooters.