Author Topic: It followed me home thread  (Read 252361 times)

Offline BrianS

Re: It followed me home thread
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2017, 10:32:34 am »
Most of these "followed me home". All but a handful were in pretty sad shape before I refurbished them. Not pictured are some I have down at the cabin and in my truck. I paid less than 10 bucks for most of them except I think I paid about 20 for the fire axe.

Online ksnow

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2017, 10:50:44 am »
Nice collection BrianS.  I see some familiar styles in there.  You have no shortage of stave reducing tools.

Thanks, Bubby.  I am going to rehaft it (same style) and put it to use in the near future.

Kyle

Offline BrianS

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2017, 10:57:23 am »
These saws "Followed me Home". I think most were picked up for about 20 bucks each. Did some research on refurbishing and sharpening and I have all in ok working order. One I had a Amish Fellow sharpen for me and that one cuts real good. I still need to do some more work on them. Lots to learn about saws and getting them to cut correct. Have a few smaller buck saws from probably the 20s or 30s with odd length blades that I am looking for blades. Also these files "Followed me Home". They were real bad but I refurbished them using Muriatic acid and they cut pretty good again. I think I paid maybe two bucks for a bucket of files. Putting these old tools back to work is very satisfying. No way I could ever afford to buy some of this stuff brand new.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2017, 11:26:24 am »
Here is a picture from a few years back of me aka Papa showing my grandson aka Michael how the saws work

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2017, 11:35:09 am »
Very nice tools.  I like that shorter double bit cruiser ax. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BrianS

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2017, 10:04:54 pm »
Osage Outlaw,
I hate to see older stuff laying around in disrepair with the chance it will be ruined. Whether it is a old bow, wood snowshoes, old axes, saws, hunting knives etc. If the price is right and it can be refurbished I pick it up when I can. Most of the things are in rough shape when they "Follow me home".Some stuff I use, some is given away to others, sometimes I even sell or trade. Sad to me when some of this old stuff is lost to neglect or misuse. Enjoyed seeing items in this post that others have had follow them home.
Take care,
Brian

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2017, 10:29:55 pm »
I'm the same way.  I try to limit my purchases to tools that I use. 

Here is some of the stuff that I got from a golf course auction a while back.  I got the entire contents of the maintenance room in the clubhouse for $10.  My truck bed and cab were packed full.  I already sold a metal store display rack, dyson vaccuum, and a wooden drawer unit.  I'm well over $100 profit so far.  I still have a brand new electric hand dryer, 2 cases of furnace filters, a new furnace fan blade, and a bunch of other stuff that I need to get rid of.  Besides all of that stuff I got about a dozen cans of spray paint, most of them are new, a nice metal storage cabinet, a no fire arms sign that I put on the cabinet, a fire extinguisher, some tools, and a solid vise.  I would have gladly paid $10 for only the vise.  There was also 2 boxes of lost and found stuff and $16 worth of copper and brass. 

Some pictures from the auction.  The political signs are one sided and make great gun targets.

I left the work bench.  It was very solid but I didn't have room for it.

Offline loon

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2017, 07:36:18 pm »
oh man.. I'm jelly

Offline bubby

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2017, 05:23:33 pm »

I got these today, 2 Nicholson and 2 heller files thespud wrench, thestone , a rough ballpeen i need to clean up and a soldering iron
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2017, 05:30:04 pm »
You will like that rasp Bubby.  Good find.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2017, 07:46:33 pm »
Those soldering irons work great for soldering tin. Nice haul Bubby
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bubby

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2017, 12:58:21 am »
They work for flintknapping billets too bj
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2017, 06:59:49 am »
They work for flintknapping billets too bj

I never thought of that Bubby. Bet they would.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2017, 08:25:15 pm »
These two hammers followed me home from the clearance isle at Tractor Supply. One is a cross peen and the other is a mini sledge.  The set of two was only  $9. 

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2017, 08:50:36 pm »
These two hammers followed me home from the clearance isle at Tractor Supply. One is a cross peen and the other is a mini sledge.  The set of two was only  $9. 

Clint be carefull with the new junk, I bought a mini sledge similar to thst and it shattered when I  hit a wedge
stuff went flying every where
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !