Author Topic: The Struggle is real  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Swamp Thang

The Struggle is real
« on: February 22, 2017, 07:59:16 pm »
Okay so don't have much in the ways of a tillering tree. So I do all of it by feel and a crummy digital bathroom scale. I'm stuck and would like so input before I move forward.

My tillering string if slack is lightly pulled out of it hangs 5 1/2" from the handle I use that as my starting point on the scale and pull down to 20" . I guess if I started measuring at the handle I would pull it down to 25.5 . Anyways I'm at 34 lbs. Trying to get the most weight out of it. What should be my next step a low set brace? Oh and no set so far.

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: The Struggle is real
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:25:45 pm »
I really would suggest spending the $30 or so to make a decent tillering set up. All you need is a 2x4, a hand saw, a couple pulleys, a yard stick, some string and a luggage scale.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 08:51:01 pm »
If I'm following your measurements you sound like you're at brace height.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 08:54:18 pm »
Yep, it sounds like you could low brace it.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:56:57 pm »
I feel confident it is. Been exercising it even on non building days to work it in.

One more question I have two high-ish knots on the back I would like to back it with bamboo can I take those knots down or do I need to leave them alone.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 09:26:10 pm »
If my final product is 40 lbs I'll be excited..... I didn't expect much from it saw a hickory that had fallen over and a branch was growing straight up if I can pace myself it may become a shooter oh and I braced it at 5"  for a look and it's well on its way.

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 09:35:52 pm »
I really would suggest spending the $30 or so to make a decent tillering set up. All you need is a 2x4, a hand saw, a couple pulleys, a yard stick, some string and a luggage scale.  ;)
Don't even need a pulley, just a wheel thing.. but how to secure the board so the string can be pulled?.. pulley may be better anyway.. less force would be applied perpendicular to the board. I imagine it'd have to be nailed to the floor and wall.

I have some ridiculous block and tackle thing i bought laying around :\ with too many built-in pulleys... it'd still work perfectly, if it had less pulleys. Can just have the scale directly attached to the bowstring, then the block and tackle attached to the scale.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:04:18 pm by loon »

Offline DuBois

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:02:04 pm »
Last few bows I tillered in hand with long string looking in mirror, then sighting down limbs with handle against chest along with mirror and a bow scale.
I like this simple way pretty well but I don't know if it's gonna work for my reflexed sinew bows I have in the works?

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:23:56 pm »
At Marshall i saw Matt Wirwicki had a portable tree, he atached it to a pole with ratchet straps, should work on a post
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 10:43:45 pm »
Why so far, Thang? I just long string tiller to 10" of string movement.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/webbaby.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 03:57:33 am »
You should buy the first volume of Traditional Bowyer Bible and read the chapter on tillering. No reason you can't make a bow of any weight....what matters is how you get there! Trust me read that chapter!

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 04:23:00 am »
Shorten your long string so that it hangs no more than an inch below the bow.
You can do this by threading it through a ring of metal, an old bearing or a D ring etc will suffice.
(see pic)
Any time spent getting a better tillering set up will be will pay dividends in the long run.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 05:13:04 am »
why not cut a tillering stick? One piece of two by one or two by two just longer than full draw. Put a leather pad on one end and a bow support on the other - build out the end or cut a deep notch to sit the bow handle in.  Cut deep notches every inch. You put the bow in the notch and draw the string to whichever notch you need - pull the string two handed (no H+S issues here!! >:D) - quick tiller and mark-up and your good to carry on tillering. I've also used reflection in a big window and shadows to good effect

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 06:07:47 am »
Why so far, Thang? I just long string tiller to 10" of string movement.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/webbaby.html
Jawge

Just felt like it was ready didn't go directly to that but happy to say one limbs a tiny stiff bit neither took any set.