Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 152327 times)

Offline Swamp Thang

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #315 on: May 06, 2017, 10:06:11 pm »
Gotcha thanks a bunch!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2017, 08:50:22 am »
Made some good progress on the elm yesterday.some nice heart wood in the handle and some flipped tips.kinda a pyramid lever design again for plan A.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #317 on: May 08, 2017, 02:46:14 pm »
So I'm excited and yet upset strung it to a 1 in brace pulls to 45lbs at 24" right now so need to shave a tad off but that's the strongest pull to date without warping a bow and ruining it. I've got tiny checking crazy kw from steaming it and not coating it and it drying to fast nothing big but I am a tad worried I am going to sinew the back so should I prep the checks in any way?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #318 on: May 08, 2017, 07:32:42 pm »
Looks like you've got the makings of a mighty fine bow there bushboy.  ;)

Made a little progress on tillering my victim's yew 5 curve.

I'm shooting for a 55# bow at the person's draw weight (which I won't reveal) so the plan is to get it bending to that 55 about 5" short of full draw and then steam in the recurves. Right now it's pulling about 55# at 10".

I'm going to make the recurves very sharp with about 5" of static curve. As you can see from the pics, the handle is only set back a touch, and I don't want it to give until right before full draw. This is a challenging project for sure!

P.S. bare in mind the bow is sitting funny on the stick in the 2nd pic
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #319 on: May 08, 2017, 09:35:30 pm »
Lookin good fellas! Keep up the good work. I'll get after soon. I've got plenty of dried staves, and already have a few bows roughed out, and a couple floor tillered. Just need to pick two and get to stretching some wood fibers.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #320 on: May 08, 2017, 11:08:39 pm »
If you're gonna sinew back it, do it before bending the bow very far.  No sense in lifting a splinter if you can avoid it.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #321 on: May 09, 2017, 09:37:54 pm »
I finally got started on a bow for the trade. This is my primary, but I also started another just in case.
Got it worked down to tough shape, next is to remove a bit of the deflex, other than that the stave is pipe straight. The plan is for 60" nTn, and 55 lbs or so at given draw. I'm planning on doing a slight recurve if the knot that was hiding in the limb too will allow.

Eric
Eric

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #322 on: May 09, 2017, 11:37:45 pm »
If the knot won't allow a recurve, might as well do a deflex/reflex. That should be gentle enough curve the knot will allow it. What kind of wood is it anyhow?
I've got a couple of bows in ye works, but if I get them done with plenty of time. I might make one to put in the pool at the end. And I can't not post anything on here with how long is left to go. Anyone have any suggestions? ive been rubbing enough of my own random ideas, I want to do one that's easentially ordered? My wood choices are black locust (atleast one character stave and many clean), persimmon, ERC (most of it is charactereed), hickory (which I would dub sow belly, due to so many nipples), and black cherry (Id rather not use it unless I get a good consensus to, it'll end up paper backed to help with tension). And tell me the design preference (I will follow as long as the wood allows it). So what would you like to see go in the pot? So what would yall like to see built and possibly get your hands on?

Kyle

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #323 on: May 10, 2017, 12:01:17 am »
Thanks Kyle, I can't believe I didn't even mention the type of wood. It's yew, with a nice thin layer of sapwood, about an 1/8" thick.
I was kind of hoping to see some recommendations from mybguy as well, but no suggestions have been made by him.
Although, we each have our own style, and I think I would like to receive something that the builder likes himself and enjoys to build
Eric

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #324 on: May 10, 2017, 12:05:37 am »
Nice looking piece of yew there Eric. A little deflex never hurts, add a little reflex to compensate.  Is that from the staves you posted about getting to cut?
Kyle how about  a black locust scalloped d-bow? Haha always liked the scalloped ones. Cheers- Brendan

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #325 on: May 10, 2017, 10:05:22 am »
I wasn't going to use one of the pieces from what I recently cut, but didn't want to push my time
Limit waiting for them to get down to a reasonable MC. This is from a small yew tree I cut last July. I may just leave the deflex like you are saying, and do a bit of reflex. Will definitely be the safer route.

Eric
Eric

Offline bushboy

« Reply #326 on: May 13, 2017, 09:01:47 pm »
Little closer.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #327 on: May 14, 2017, 04:03:30 am »
Sweet!

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #328 on: May 14, 2017, 04:59:35 pm »
Oh man oh man I hope mine looks that good soon gonna add some curves after I get it straightened. But here's a partial draw.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2017, 05:00:25 pm »
I think maybe the fades need to bend a bit more