Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 151309 times)

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #330 on: May 15, 2017, 12:10:39 am »
That's looking good bushboy! Swamp thang your getting there! Had a busy weekend should get more how time this week! Cheers- Brendan

Offline DuBois

« Reply #331 on: May 15, 2017, 08:05:46 am »
I been wantin a Bushy bow for my rack for a while now. That one will work just fine buddy.

Swampie, looks from here like the upper fade could bend more.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #332 on: May 15, 2017, 09:19:54 am »
Okay I'm gonna try to get it to full draw today if I have the time to straighten it the bottom limb kicked off when it dried.

Yeah bushboy not playing around that's gonna be a great bow!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #333 on: May 15, 2017, 03:29:47 pm »
Took Plan A to brace and it snapped the string, so put on an old string I had in a drawer and it snapped that one as well ☹ might be a week or two til I can twist up a batch of new strings.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #334 on: May 15, 2017, 11:11:00 pm »
Wow! Just wow. Haha thanks you tattoo Dave and whoever donated those items. I was like a kid on Christmas digging into that box. Feathers, obsidian, gar scales, hair on leather, silk for backing strips.I'm in the process of making a bunch of arrows right now so it will all come in handy! And to top it all off a really sweet flint knife blade. I can't say how cool this is as I never get drawn out of a hat. Cheers- Brendan

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #335 on: May 16, 2017, 03:01:54 am »
Wow that sound awesome, thanks to our benefactor, whoever you are! Next draw takes place in ten days time, I still do not have everyone's postal address (nag). Don't forget you need to post a photo this month to qualify ☺

Offline bushboy

« Reply #336 on: May 16, 2017, 06:26:04 am »
Thank's guys!kinda outside my comfort zone on this one as it has a concave belly and Uber light weight levers.looking good swamp!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #337 on: May 16, 2017, 09:00:25 am »
I better get a move on it, you guys are making some good progress and looking good. I got the belly heat treat and on a form to get the tips aligned a bit better and decided to remove the deflex since it was pretty minor anyway.

Eric
Eric

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #338 on: May 17, 2017, 02:07:18 pm »
Just checking something. My laurel bow is much like Kyle's in profile and has one straight-ish limb and one reflex-deflex limb. To get them to bend the same, the straight limb is weaker? How should I tiller this?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #339 on: May 17, 2017, 02:58:36 pm »
I finally took a couple pics to post up. These are the 3- piece take downs I'm working on. Since this was a first I'm making two so I can keep one of them.

One receiver is hickory and sapale. The other is sapale, ash, walnut and osage.

These are the limb cores, osage(thanks Dubois) and Hickory. The hickory is from the belly cutoffs from my favorite board bow. I like the look of the heart/sap wood division. Both will be backed. The osage with sapele and the hickory with bamboo. I don't know if sapale makes a good backing wood, but it will look amazing so I have to try.

The elm bow is at the short string tiller stage, not quite to full brace. I'll snap a pic of that when I'm happy with the tiller and see if you guys agree.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #340 on: May 17, 2017, 04:50:57 pm »
Those are awesome looking Dakota kid. They'll be sweet looking when done.

Stuckinthemud, I'd make a profile tracing so you can come back and compare the temporary and permanent set against. It'll tell you how the tillering is going. The temporary set will show first, so I'd compare immediately after flexing and unbracing. If one limb has to be a bit weaker to make the braced profile look even, if put it as the top limb since you'll want the lower limb a bit strong anyway.

Kyle

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #341 on: May 17, 2017, 07:53:45 pm »

... Both will be backed. The osage with sapele and the hickory with bamboo. I don't know if sapale makes a good backing wood, but it will look amazing so I have to try...

Hello, please let us know if the sapele works for backing, I have a a pair of boards and I thought that it was not useful for bowmaking at all,
Sergi

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #342 on: May 17, 2017, 08:14:39 pm »
Those handles look sweeeeeeeet DK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #343 on: May 17, 2017, 11:08:16 pm »
Well, I've been working on my bow for the trade but haven't gotten very far with it yet. I'm working on a Holmegard style bow from a hickory stave. It's very roughed out at 70" TtT with a 9" riser (handle & fades), 15" x 2" working limbs, and 15 1/2" static limbs. Of course, the static limbs can still be shortened if necessary. I'm aiming for around 55# @ 28".

I have a 2nd hickory stave ready in case this one has issues.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:14:00 pm by Red Arrow »
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #344 on: May 18, 2017, 01:12:09 am »

Hello, please let us know if the sapele works for backing, I have a a pair of boards and I thought that it was not useful for bowmaking at all,
Sergi

I've seen sapale offered as a laminate for bow building from several suppliers. I don't know if it's better as a backing, belly or core, but it is usable. It looks really nice next to some osage, excellent complimenting contrast.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna